Work experience question: Credit analyst: Commercial banking

Please excuse me if the question is naive. Some terms in the work experience section are making me worried.

If someone has work experience as a credit analyst in a bank, would that qualify?

Somehow in most of the relevant sections in the online application of the institute, the reference are “responsibilities related to the investment decision making process” and “at least 50% time is directly involved in the investment decision making process”.

As a credit analyst, I analyzed the proposals to do lending (debt) but not sure if that’s “investment decision making”.

As per the process of the bank, the role was to reccommend the proposal to a committee for the approval, and no individual employee had the authority to independently make approval for lending.

Anyone with similar experience (and had the experience approved), do let me know. Tried calling CFA Institute, but received the official response that after submitting they would evaluate it.

Also, if persons providing the reference send the filled form scanned to cmservices@cfainstitute.org, would that be fine?

Yes it does count. I know many that received the charter based on their credit analyst experience. CFA experiences aren’t that narrowly defined. Credit analyst conducts rigorous financial analysis and makes recommendation on whether the bank should provide a loan or not.

I am also in thesame boat. I was beginning to doubt if it counts since my approva is still under ‘work experience review’

How liong did you apply, mine is stil under reciew as well , from a pension and investment consuklting background. It seems quite long given others have gotten through in 2 days and stuff.

I applied since Aug 15

credit analyst as in bond analyst- qualifies

credit analyst as in retail banking loans- does not qualify

thanks for getting back; what about credit analyst in commercial banking (analyzing loan size between $1 mn and $100 mn) for advancing working capital and long-term loans to companies?

has anyone had their work experience rejected before?

people get IT approved, so wouldn’t worry about it

You need to do a bit more research… the answer is out there.

The key point is that you should be doing financial analysis. If you are in retail banking filling out some application forms to decide if a person can have some line of credit, obviously not.

If you are in commercial banking and your role requires gathering information (i.e. financial statements, rating agency reports, corp. presentations, etc.) and thoroughly analyzing these data to make a decision to lend or not, then why wouldn’t that experiences count?

And yes, people have had their experiences rejected before, and I’ve heard that once it gets rejected, the process becomes more painful. So word your experiences properly (and of course truthfully).