HELP! - Tanaka Global, Question 11 on the 2008 AM exam

This is regarding the question on Tanaka Global, Question 11 on the 2008 AM exam.

[question removed by admin]

The answer to part is 9000 contracts for USD, and 7000 contracts for JPY

My doubts / questions are related to part B:

1. To calculate unhedged return, let’s say for the USD investment first, I would use RDC = (1+RFC)(1+RFX)-1.

RFC is 945/900-1 = 5%. RFX is spot (1 July) to spot (1 Sep), so 110.9/115.9-1 = -4.34%, and hence RDC = (1+5%) (1±4.34%)-1 = 0.47%. This is the same as the solution provided by CFAI. Is this method correct, or am I just getting the same answer by coincidence?

1. To calculate hedged return, again for the USD investment first, I would use the same RDC formula again, however this time around, the RFX would change because the currency would be assumed as hedged.

o If the hedge were to be lifted in between, then I would compare the futures prices as of 1 Jul (115.7) and on the assumed date of the lifting of the hedge i.e. 1 Sep (110.77), i.e. 115.7/110.77-1= 4.45%, because I have locked in a price to sell of 115.7, whereas today the price to sell has fallen to 110.77, so it is favorable to me, and hence RDC = (1+5%) (1+4.45%)-1 = 9.67%.

o This is NOT the same as the solution provided by CFAI. According to CFAI, the correct answer is a return of 4.72%.

What is the error in my approach above? Can someone kindly clarify please? Grateful for your time.

This reading has been REMOVED

Has anyone else tried this question?

It appears from the above, the reading has been removed

I tried it and wasn’t too familiar how to calculate some of the items

[/quote]

o If the hedge were to be lifted in between, then I would compare the futures prices as of 1 Jul (115.7) and on the assumed date of the lifting of the hedge i.e. 1 Sep (110.77), i.e. 115.7/110.77-1= 4.45%, because I have locked in a price to sell of 115.7, whereas today the price to sell has fallen to 110.77, so it is favorable to me, and hence RDC = (1+5%) (1+4.45%)-1 = 9.67%.

o This is NOT the same as the solution provided by CFAI. According to CFAI, the correct answer is a return of 4.72%.

What is the error in my approach above? Can someone kindly clarify please? Grateful for your time.

[/quote]

Thats because you’re missing a step. You incorporated the Rfc return and the lifting of the hedge but you still haven’t exchanged your Rfx back to the domestic currency.

And you do need to know these calculations for this year.

You have your asset return, you sold in july so to lift it you need to buy in july. But then you still need to sell in the spot.

[/quote]

Thats because you’re missing a step. You incorporated the Rfc return and the lifting of the hedge but you still haven’t exchanged your Rfx back to the domestic currency.

And you do need to know these calculations for this year.

You have your asset return, you sold in july so to lift it you need to buy in july. But then you still need to sell in the spot.

[/quote]

Googs - this Q was from 2 years ago.

I was asking another Q - is the question still relevant any more, as per the 2nd comment?

It appears not directly linked to CFAI material, based off old reading.

?! of course it’s still relevant, you should know this by now. Unless you skipped the middle of the material.

Yes! Totally. It was a HUGE section.

Yes, I agree, I know all the concepts in SS9 relatively well. But I believe this question had some slight nuances which aren’t covered in the reading.