Who can be a professional reference while applying for membership?

wanted to know whether someone in my current organisation who is a charterholder and an active local society member but has not worked with me can be a professional reference, was wondering how would he be able to comment on my work experience… is it necessary that references should have worked with us…

Not necessary but you will need to supply professional references who can speak to your role in the investment decision-making process.

We require three professional references unless you have a reference from a regular member of the society to which you are applying. In that case, two professional references are required. We prefer references from your supervisor(s). You may not serve as a reference for your own application.

When selecting your references, please note that they are required to comment on your work experience and professional character. Select individuals who can describe and attest to your responsibilities in the investment decision-making process (as defined by our work experience guidelines).

When you apply for regular CFA Institute membership, you will be asked to attest that your work experience meets the following qualifications.

At least four years (48 months) of experience in:

• Evaluating or applying financial, economic, and/or statistical data as part of the investment decision-making process involving securities or similar investments (e.g., publicly traded and privately placed stocks, bonds, and mortgages and their derivatives; commodity-based derivatives and mutual funds; and other investment assets, such as real estate and commodities, if these are held as part of a diversified, securities-oriented investment portfolio).
  • Supervising, directly or indirectly, persons who practice these activities.
  • Teaching such activities.

For a job position to qualify, at least 50% of your time should be spent directly involved in the investment decision-making process or producing a work product that informs or adds value to that process. Work must be full time and can be earned before, during, or after participation in the CFA Program. Managing your own investments or the investments of your family or friends (without compensation) does not qualify.