"LOOKS" easy CFA Level 3 - need to shake my brain

CFAbeatmeup wrote:

I can dig the “spillover” argument. Where if you know how to answer a question in the AM, you also know how to answer a PM question. What I will say is I spent a little more time on multiple-choice Qs during my study than it *appeared* others did and it seemed to work out for me. I’d also say your comment “The reverse is not true” is not true in all cases. Without going into detail, there were a few PM Qs that were similar to AM. The knowledge, then, is transferrable, it’s just the way you present that’s different. 

If I fail, I now expect you to laugh your behind off at me. More broadly, though, my point was everybody assumed there is one way to Shangri-La, when in fact I’d say there are multiple paths there.  

I would never laugh at anyone for failing, I think only Angry Alphabet Soup guy would choose that course of action.  Trust me, I already covered the “many paths” earlier in my response to him.  What works for one will not necessarily work for another has been my largest take away when giving/taking advice in preparing for these exams. 

Recall his earlier advice was “focus on PM”… that’s really the only thing I disagreed with.  You’re right, knowledge is transferrable across both sessions but the important part is the last bit you wrote.  The way you present it is a huge hurdle for a lot of candidates.  I found myself getting a lot of zero or partial credit in past AM papers because I just couldn’t hit a few of the necessary trigger words whereas if I was asked that same question in a multiple choice format I’d feel way more confident knowing I just had to select the answer… not explain it back to a grader.

This is what I mean by a rational discussion.  You know, without trying to belittle and name call other people because they haven’t passed yet or updated a stupid status on their candidacy. 

You’ve made it this far, and you know what it takes to pass. Don’t be fooled by false promises and unrealistic claims. Schweser’s CFA® study packages give you the proven study tools and expert instruction you need to finish the job.

ltj wrote:

CFAbeatmeup wrote:

I can dig the “spillover” argument. Where if you know how to answer a question in the AM, you also know how to answer a PM question. What I will say is I spent a little more time on multiple-choice Qs during my study than it *appeared* others did and it seemed to work out for me. I’d also say your comment “The reverse is not true” is not true in all cases. Without going into detail, there were a few PM Qs that were similar to AM. The knowledge, then, is transferrable, it’s just the way you present that’s different. 

If I fail, I now expect you to laugh your behind off at me. More broadly, though, my point was everybody assumed there is one way to Shangri-La, when in fact I’d say there are multiple paths there.  

This is what I mean by a rational discussion.  You know, without trying to belittle and name call other people because they haven’t passed yet or updated a stupid status on their candidacy. 

Yep. I always prescribed to the “we can disagree without being disagreeable” line of thought. Good luck.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CFAFRMMBA wrote:

Gergely wrote:

Why the AM so difficult.Where is the trick?

When I study in engineering school there was a subject which is bloody small not much page but it was twisted left right right left up down.

I am 100% sure L3 book page is totally insignificant.They can play with us even 300 pages no need X000 page.Important is how diluted  the book.

My concern people are saying not possible 100% in AM or “very tough as very difficult” even in L3 (L1 is ok but L3).I do not like “unrule game”

I am looking for the learning strategies.

read the post of  trimonious2—-bookmark it…or search the thread how to pass level3—-nothing better than that to guide you for AM http://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-iii-forum/91314226

His post mentions “two 4 minute questions,” do they tell you a suggested time allotment for each question on the actual exam? Or do they tell you how many points for each question, and he just calculated the time allotment based on the point weighting?

Apples and Oranges wrote:

CFAFRMMBA wrote:

Gergely wrote:

Why the AM so difficult.Where is the trick?

When I study in engineering school there was a subject which is bloody small not much page but it was twisted left right right left up down.

I am 100% sure L3 book page is totally insignificant.They can play with us even 300 pages no need X000 page.Important is how diluted  the book.

My concern people are saying not possible 100% in AM or “very tough as very difficult” even in L3 (L1 is ok but L3).I do not like “unrule game”

I am looking for the learning strategies.

read the post of  trimonious2—-bookmark it…or search the thread how to pass level3—-nothing better than that to guide you for AM http://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-iii-forum/91314226

His post mentions “two 4 minute questions,” do they tell you a suggested time allotment for each question on the actual exam? Or do they tell you how many points for each question, and he just calculated the time allotment based on the point weighting?

Although I recommend you watch it all, the answer to your question starts 5 minutes in and continues until 8:30. http://youtu.be/eSHIjxAINqI

¯\_(ツ)_/¯