My handwriting isn't great (it is actually really bad)

How much will bad handwriting impact ability to get points? For some added info, handwriting is legible, but if I’m rushing, it can be a bit of an annoyance to read.

How bad is bad???

I’d say slow down if you can, write with big loops, print if you have to. The easier you make it for the grader to read, the more likely you’ll get points. I’m also assuming the graders are conscientious enough to make the necessary effort to decipher chicken scratch. Plus I don’t remember writing reams for LIII.

CFA Institute hires retired pharmacists to decipher candidates’ constructed responses. You’ll be fine.

At least, you wont kill anyone with your poor handwriting…

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-finally-a-cure-for-your-doctor-s-handwriting-2056390

I’m bumping this. I’ve been reading articles that poor handwriting can work against you.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/professionaleducation/08/prepare-cfa-exams.asp

Literally says, “or essay questions, legible writing is key. Graders scan the answers for certain words or phrases and then give points accordingly. If a grader can’t read your writing, then you won’t get points even if you have the correct information in your essay. If you can do it efficiently, print your essay answers.”

It’s true a former grader told me that if they can’t read it or understand what your short form bullets are saying. they’ll deduct points. They have lots of exams to grade so they give 1 look through and if it warrants another they’ll read it again, but never a third. And if there isn’t hope after 1, it’s just wrong.

If your handwriting is *THAT* bad, there’s always an alternative…

#PRINT

That sounds ripe for challenge then…

haha so funny

If this is true, then I love CFAI even more.

Do wrong spelling and poor grammar affect to get points?

No.

I wrote in block capitals for the same reason…done the same for banking exams…Otherwise it is a complete mess.

i don’t think you need to write a whole lot on the exam if i recall. It’s more about A) answering the question and B) buzzing their keywords. So effectively you can use bullet points for your response.

I already had poor handwriting for a girl, but after Levels 1 & 2 it’s pretty much chicken scratch now haha. I’m planning on writing VERY slowly/deliberately and using block capitals with plenty of spacing between lines.

You can should only write in bullet points.

#DINGDINGDINGDING

I am not sure if this is correct. Nathan Ronan (Formerly with NYSSA & now with Chalk and Board) who was grader himself told us that CFAI makes multiple attempts to understand ones handwriting. I don’t think it is a problem. My handwriting is very bad. On top of that I broke my ring finger and had multiple fractures and I had to go under surgery. Till the exam day I could not bend that finger properly and that affected my handwriting and also the speed of writing. During exam, after 1 and half hours i was very much behind and started writing super fast. I was miles away from beautiful handwriting. Still I did not get time for last question. So I think it is ok to have bad handwriting and gammer as well.

My handwriting is probably just as bad as yours, I’ve noticed my handwriting is a lot more legible if I write in all caps so that will be my strategy.