General Fatigue Question

I am not sure if it is only me or same for everyone who did Level 1 and 2 back to back, I have started studying for a month, about 75 hours or so in and trying to ramp up, but I am somehow having serious problem focus, getting motivated and concentrate, I constantly find excuse for myself to not meet 4-5 hours goal which has not happened during last two levels. Is this common? Does anyone have any advise?

We are all in same boat. I posted what helped me. Consider this as a game regardless how difficult is. Create short term targets and seek to outperform that targets. Now, and during next 100 days you have a chance doing this the last time.

This is the most relatable post I’ve read all day! I have such an issue focusing and staying motivated. It’s so different from how I was in L1 and L2. What I do to counteract it is, like Flashback said, set goals - finish Practice Tests for Ethics by this date, finish EOC for Asset Allocation by this date, and so on so forth… And it motivates me to do it within that period. I’m good at meeting deadlines so setting deadlines for myself helps me to pace and get through the material. It’s been absolutely daunting though! I think I’m just tired of taking these exams. Hope this is my last :slight_smile:

Would anyone be interested in forming a whatsapp study group?

I had this issue last year. I was hitting my hours and goals but was just not as focused. The hours I put in weren’t of the same quality as level 1 and 2. I pushed hard but my early drag was not overcome. Back again for round 4… First financial exam I have ever failed. Level 3 is no Joke. All those taking it have passed levels 1 and 2, but still half will fail level 3. Take it extremely seriously and make this year your last year. Trust me, it sucks doing this shit again…

what’s your advise on quality of hours? how do you check you actually learned the stuff you read? any suggestion? I am seriously concerned if this continue i might fail

The best check is solving questions, BBs and EOCs in first phase, portal topic tests and AM sessions in later stage. You may track your progress. If it’s been increased relative to prior testing, you probably added value to your study progress. If you catch yourself that you no longer need your supporting notes and have noticed significant acceleration in solving tasks, you’ve added value, indeed.

Wanna be studying for this another year?

#JustDoIt

I totally agree, save a few places level 3 is not as daunting as L1&2, I’ve just had enough right now! Think my wife has too :wink:

This is the attitude I had last year. I took it a little easier at first thinking it was lighter than level 2. I started realizing what I was up against and hammered hours in but fell short.

#backagain

Level 3 is more daunting than level 2. You are studying for a completely different type of test. There is no multiple choice. You must know this stuff cold. Study hard my friend, or you too, will be back again.

In terms of quality, make sure when you are studying, you are actually retaining information, not day dreaming, etc. Keep your focus and attention strong. You need to memorize a lot of lists and definitions. Keep hammering through practice prblems, make sure you are constantly revisting topics an reviewing blue Box of those you are shaky on. The schweser sections tests are good to start reviewing early on as they are good sources of core concepts that and highly testable. Start going over those soon as they will warm you up for morning mock exams. Contingent Immun, Implementation Shortfall, synthetic positions, etc. You got to get those down solid.

The morning session will push your recollection to the limit. Think of how good the CFAI exam questions were on the first two exams, no imagine how creative they can be with open ended questions. There is no A,B, or C… Only Blank. Take a look at some of the old morning exams. At the very least do a quick browse through it to get an idea of what you are up against if you haven’t yet.

this makes total sense, i think my problem now is i get so easily lost in the text and just getting general idea out of things when reading like level 1 level 2, i am having problem retaining or differentiating what is important, like say, behavioral finance, it is hard for people at the begining to identify the key point until later, any idea what should we focus on, or there is some posts discussing this already?

Look at some older morning sessions and schweser mock AM exams. Start working the Section Tests from schweser and that will give you a good idea. Get through the material soon and start mocking like you have never mocked before. That is really the only way you are going to start narrowing down your focus. But hit those end of Topic tests in schweser, not the EOCs, but the self test assessments. They are structured much closer to AM questions.

Keep your focus on the “learning outcomes”. I haven’t reached behavioral finance yet but the strategy of re-reading the learning outcomes whenever i get lost in the text helps maintain focus so far in my readings.

start doing mocks where it’s more engaging and just think about how miserable it’ll be taking this again. Then having everyone ask/say

how’s studying?

when’s your test again?

you’ll be fine

just practice

you can do it

if i got my CPA you can get your CFA

you already passed level 2, level 3 is easy for you

once you pass you’ll become a rich portfolio manager right?