Time Management for test day....

last minute debating my approach…

planning to work through and only answer questions I know how to approach first. Then do a second round picking up as many points as possible. Don’t plan to write out times. Thoughts?

Sounds good.

If you’re going out of order, marking down times becomes less relevant. Just not the time you start a question and add the available points to it.

example at 9:38 you move to Question 9 that has 4 parts and is worth a total of 16 points, you should be done that question around 9:53 and so forth and so forth.

Writing down the time isn’t as necessary with your approach, just being aware and acknowledging what time you started and how long you have should suffice.

One of the reasons I don’t like going out of order, is with all the flipping back and forth between questions make sure you answer all parts and answer them directly on the template. There are horror stories of people not knowing there was a part e to their question, or not answering in the given template.

Good luck on Saturday.

i hate writing down times, i just aim to complete the whole thing in 2 hours, that leaves me with an hour to proof read.

item sets, aim for 90 minutes with 90 minutes proof reading time.

solid plan. u sir shall pass if u do that.

:+1:

I went through all my AM papers and for me it was clear that the IPS question on return calc is where I was spending the most time but consistantly making the little mistakes therefore not getting the full marks for the effort.

Basically thats my approach Marks/Effort. I’ll be doing the IPS last.

Chalk me up for another IPS question last. Usually I avoided IPS and Institutional, but may change that. Not sure. That being said, I found going to IPS at the end was more “calming” as I knew how much time I had, etc.

S2000 and Hasthag keep saying that go for the low hanging fruit first. In all my practice exams I would straight go to less difficult topics like AA/Eco/Equity followed by RM/DER/FI and then in the end IPS.

IPS/behavioral questions opening paragraphs eat too much time before you even start out the required return calculation.

Unless I am very prepared and confident, which I’m not, I wouldn’t go against that advice.

+1, IPS questions ate up a lot of my time and if you’re taking the actual exam, it can throw you off and ruin your mood.

I’m going for the low hanging fruit.

I don’t know if my approach is correct as I definitely struggle on the AM part in terms of timing, but sometimes a question makes more sense in the context, as I start working through the first one, then the second and third Qs make more sense, plus sometimes they scatter info all over the place so I feel that it would be too stressful and wasting time, reading the whole case again…

one thing I always do is look for the Behavioural item set and start exam there. Usually one of the easier/quicker sets to tackle and will get your brain warmed up. I try to bank a good 3+ minutes in that section. i wouldn’t necessarily advise sifting through entire exam for easy points (eg. the questions requiring you to circle and one reason), that’s a waste of time. But you def should be writing start times of questions you start (not small parts like A, B, etc.) and target times to be finished. if you start realizing you’re having a tough go in one set, just move along to another set and come back to that later.

Every question set has some low hanging fruit. I would just go with the flow and skip if I can’t figure it out within the time frame, then go back if I have time.

I’ll go in order. I kill the individual/institutional sections anyway.