CFA level III exam while fasting in Ramadhan

Any AF’er here fasting during the LIII exam?

My fast begins at local time 3.40am till 6.35 pm. I don’t have any problem resisting food/water but the biggest challenge for me is no caffeine! I’m a heavy caffeine drinker and no tea/coffee before the exam for me is just a killer. I have found it very difficult to keep my self awake while doing AM exams practicing in the morning to simulate exam experience.

Those who have hard time controlling hunger, I have a tip for you if you like, take 2 3 tablespoon of olive oil after your suhoor meal and try to eat things that would make you last long. If you take protein supplements then any sort of casein(not whey) protein with milk would be best.

I am pretty sure there is an option to postponed the exam above valid stated reason unless it is not too late to let CFAI knows. They should accept and respect the Ramadan fact and I am wondering if they did not even calculate with Ramadan period.

Ramadan Mubarak

Do not fast. Our religion is not that strict you can not fast as an exception and make it up another day + pay a donation. Do not risk all that preparation for one day. Ramadan mubarak, God is forgiving

^ I do not think the exam qualifies for allowable exception :slight_smile: . Its just an exam at the end of the day that we are forcing on ourselves, ourselves.

Yeah, even the next 3 exams would fall under Ramadhan. Given high quality of CFAI in ensuring integrity of these exams, as you said, they could have postponed exams after iftar and we would have been taking test simultaneously with our friends say in NYC. Even though I would blame myself for not contacting them earlier for this, I’m pretty sure they would have been made aware about this. Probably next year things will be better for others. I am day dreaming now that I go to the exam centre and find out that it has been postponed till break ha ha ha.

Much respect to you and all the others fasting (not just those writing the exam).

I know I could never do that, so big ups.

I hope everything comes together for you tomorrow.

Best of luck!

+1, you’re the best!

Everyone has their opinion, but for reference I’m a big Leafs fan and one of the players is a Muslim from Lebanon. He gets special permission to drink water during practices/training when required. I’m not Muslim, so I don’t know the do’s and don’ts. But i’d think the CFA is more than just for yourself, but also for the benefit of your family, community, religion, etc. I.e. you are in a better position to serve your family, faith and community as a result of receiving the charter (relative to not).

Does this not qualify as an exemption? One of the hottest days of the year, locked ina building, writing a 6 hours exam but essentially 10 hour day, highly competitive, etc etc

Again brother, I do not mean any disrespect of any sort. Much respect to you and your community.

Assalamualaikum

CFA > Religion

CFA = god

As my name suggests, pass or fail, I will be fasting :-). Thanks for the encouragement and I dedicate this to all of you my AF fellows. Good luck for tomorrow!

respect man, I think you can postpone one day and make it up in another after the exam. But damn, how about carbo, hydration and etc.?Perhaps it is best to take care of yourself. You do your best and Allah will do the rest. And yes, make sure you don’t attend post exam social drinks as Shaitan (auizbillahimina Shaitani rajjiim) is quite cunning when the internal guards are down.

Good luck and insh-Allah you will get some good new in Aug.

I am fasting in Toronto from 3:50 AM to 9 pm !!. Made a lot of research and asked a lot of knowledgeable people regarding breaking the fast for the exam. Bottom line you can break the fast on the day of the exam.

Studying while fasting though was so hard as I am a coffee guy. But El7amdolelaah I made it through. Hopefully the hard work will not be for nothing

I guess that this is likely the first time in 10+ years that this would affect studying for this exam, no?

Gotta be rough. Mad respect to those of you who can do this and still study/write. I can’t even open my eyelids without coffee.

We don’t care about your religion…

Ironic, as someone who actually did not care would not bother leaving such a comment lol

I just hope you’re this strict for all aspects of Islam, including that thing that boys do when no one’s around.

Moh4

Jun 10th, 2017 2:41pm

• CFA Level III Candidate
  • 20 AF Points

Studying With

I am fasting in Toronto from 3:50 AM to 9 pm !!. Made a lot of research and asked a lot of knowledgeable people regarding breaking the fast for the exam. Bottom line you can break the fast on the day of the exam.

Studying while fasting though was so hard as I am a coffee guy. But El7amdolelaah I made it through. Hopefully the hard work will not be for nothing

do your research again and perhaps with the right intentions… curious to know who gave these fatwas that you are talking about that its “OK” ? You don’t want to fail the main exam and pass the temporary one… do you? or unless that is your goal then no one can stop you and you can come up with any excuse to justify it.

a better suggestion would have been to travel to another location… and write the exam there…

That s very close to overstating the value of the CFA and violation of the code :wink:

Recommend watching Moonlight with your bros and unwind with a 40

• Why you suggested I made my research with wrong intentions? (False acquisition)

• With my respect, who are you to decide passing or falling the main exam?

• This topic is debatable but I trust my sources and it makes sense to me. If you’re affected mentally or physically (the case on exam day) then you have the right to break your fast.