Pre-Test Poll : If you knew then what you know now, would you have signed up for CFA Level I?

By now you probably have known how much work and effort the three levels entail, now imagine you can go back to a couple years ago, would you have signed up for the program back then? I am just curious to know the opinion before the test and want to see how that opinion change after the result day.

Ask me in 2 months, if I fail I may cry.

Nope… Because the risk/reward is not that great. In terms of hours consumed vs how you can capitalize it in your career…

Well, that’s why it is a pre-test question, and I am also curious how would you feel differently if you pass :slight_smile:

Definitely.

Nope…

Wouldn’t have done. They got me right out of grad school in this program so I was still naiive back then I guess and signed up like a good student.

You’re right, didnt even notice that, my brain is mush. Let me try again. I would’ve done it all over again. I have an unrelated graduate degree, liberal arts undergrad and I work in finance with a bunch of MBAs and charterholders. I had to do it, I like the field and I needed to gain some credibility. I slacked my way through college and grad school, I’ve never worked so hard for something in my life as I have these first two levels, I lacked discipline before all of this. This has honestly given me so much more confidence in what I can do if I just try.

I feel you, I think the principal part is true, to know how much you have to focus on details and grind the most painful ideas till you get them

Definitely!

Yup. Recognition of the charter is very low where I live, but still yes. Mainly because of the knowledge. I can understand all the relevant news and can determine its effects. I am much more into the daily events of the world just because I understand them better. I am much more knowledgeable and disciplined than before. I used to be the stupid one when intelligent discussions took place, 0 input from my side. Now my peers cant even keep up with me. I feel like this program is the very important kick I needed to become a professional adult. I am very glad that I got into it right after college.

I am satisfied with my preparation for tomorrow, pass or fail (pass hopefully though). Good luck everyone.

You might attend CIPM program after this one. CFAI will encourage you to do so…especially for those who enjoyed GIPS.

You can knock out CIPM with another 50 hours of studying. I’m a performance analyst so it makes sense.

Yup. Would still do it.

Yes

I signed up for Level I because my boss held a meeting one day and said that the company had decided that all of the analysts (my group) and all of the account managers would be taking the CFA exams.

Sigh.

In retrospect, I’m incredibly glad that I did. But I wasn’t remotely happy at the time.

I would but would have studied much differently for each level

It’s kind of a shame the exam is as popular as it is now. The market is becoming saturated with CFAs that have zero industry experience or are looking to ‘break in’.

Hate to break it to you, but in Manhattan those 3 little letters don’t carry the weight of experience. It may help, but more and more I talk with hiring managers in CFA related fields (AM, HFs, Sell-side research, etc.) that believe CFA without relevant experience is worthless.

With that said, however, I’m glad I did it. It is painful and offering only once a year after L1 is really insulting considering mostly every other professional exam is offered more than once. The cryptic nature of the CFAI with their exams is truly laughable as well. Oh… and having to write answers (as opposed to a typed session) for L3 puts a handicap on English as a second language and people with handwriting issues. The exam is meant to test your ability on securities/market analysis not if you can write within the lines.

Rant over.

Yes, and I would have taken my first exam years earlier, before having kids.

Yes. The pain is worth it

Definitely not if Im not on the asset mangement path, the effort and reward just doesnt sound balanced right now with the abudance of CFAs on the street