London morning 8.30am- lock out

I had taken levels I and II at the same venue. There is no signage on arriving at the car park or main halls to the respective exam rooms, and after arriving I discovered Level III is held at the opposite end and lower floor of an exhibition centre which holds 20k+ people. There was nothing in my “special venue instructions” which flagged this change from levels i and II, but a proctor later pointed out the room name was identified on my exam ticket amongst all the other info.

I must have arrived at the right room a couple of minutes after the 8.30am cut off for the 9.00 exam. There were about 60 people who were not allowed to enter the 2 rooms level III rooms, before 9am, and the had arrived within a few minutes of the cut off.

There was little information provided by the CFA representative in the half hour lock out, and when the exam started I had to find my station within the huge hall, do the full passport and calculator check in.

I lost about 7 minutes before I could start and then it took me many more before I got my composure back.

The ‘event’ was poorly managed and stressful - in my opinion the processes are too mechanical and left my substantial commitment as a candidate, belittled.

If you were one of the many locked out, I am keen to hear from you- please add your experience or PM me.

I was not locked out but I would like to point out that my experience was horrible. The New Delhi Centre was chaotic and mismanaged. Both AM and PM started 18 minutes late. The volunteers had no idea where the halls were or where the entrances were. 1 Toilet in waiting area for several thousands. Shutting off obvious paths that would have eased the crowd movement etc. Several other things, overall it was horrible and will certainly affect my scores.

they were still calling for candidates to go the room, maybe a minute before the doors shut. There was no sense of immediacy, so nobody ran to try to make the 8.30am cut off. After all those hundreds of hours studying, it feels unfair.

I was also locked out (room 813) - I was the guy in the sonic t-shirt sitting on the floor, not being stressed.

I really don’t have much sympathy for your complaint I’m afraid:

1. I agree that levels 1 & 2 had been more chilled with timing of exam hall closures and that the venue being at the other end of excel was a surprise.

2. However:

i) “mechanical”, “belittling” and I would add overzealous, is exactly what CFAI are when it comes to exam experience. There’s no surprise in how they dealt with it, and your approach to the day should reflect this.

ii) It is imprudent to arrive at 8:25am at level I/II end of excel ==> arriving at 8:32am at the far end. It’s your final exam, why push the time? I’m just as guilty on this one.

iii) I was at my exam desk by 9:02, really not that big a deal. I got to use the bathroom five mins before, drink, stretch out. Probably time neutral in that I didn’t use the bathroom during the exam. I was tempted to do it for the afternoon session!

1. “Stressful” is the state of mind you create. There were about ten people circling and having a go at one of the proctors outside, raising their voices, stressing themselves out and doing no good. It is what it is. Accept it and get yourself in the right state of mind for when you do go in -there was twenty minutes of waiting to get your composure.

I’m sorry to hear this affected your morning paper so much and hope it doesn’t affect your outcome, but I feel the blame lies on us rather than CFA here, even if it would be nice if they were more helpful with it.

I think CFAI handicaps scores for regions where there are major distractions… even considering they want to promote the Charter to developed markets would not surprise me if all Delhi candidates get an extra few points

you a clearly more Zen than myself. I wasn’t so stressed outside but on entering and struggling to find my station etc. Sounds like you were quite fortunate with a 2 minute penalty, compared to myself. I arrived at 8.12am( my car park ticket is evidence), so it took me say 20 minutes to work out the different arrangement and make my way. I thought the 10 circlers were definitely entitled to their elected approach and at least that proctor looked reasonably senior to possibly influence matters. I was in the opposite ICC room and the proctor had little experience. Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts.

Tburskinshaw - did the proctor give you any instructions or guidance when you waited? It would have been helpful to to know in advance where my station was located in the giant theatre - i was right on the far side and it took me a while looking for my place.

Our test, Miami, started late in the morning because so many candidates had questions on filling out the first page. First time I had a watch so I thought it was odd.

Should have gotten there earlier. Sounds like a user error.

I swear if these people pass and I have failed, I’m going to feel like a massive idiot.

itj, that comes across rather dogmatic. I wonder if you know the venue at all- I’m open to different opinions such as the perspective from burkinshaw, who had a similar experience but had a different view.

I suppose you arrive 3 hours early for all your flights, as per official requirements…

My friend had no issue over there. he got there earlier then required… it’s like flights or even studying you get a recommended time frame but who the F* really follows that stuff? airports are one of the worst managed things in the world and if you miss a flight because you followed the recommended thing is your own dumb fault. That being said he was laughing at the people who didn’t get in on time because they should have got there earlier and I agree with him.

haha that would be nice for them but they definitely don’t. CFAI doesn’t hold emotional bias towards that stuff. If i recall there was a center closed in turkey last year because of a bombing and it was just SOL for them.

you kind of get into the rhythm after going into the same place for Levels I and II, complacency maybe - representative bias with base rate neglect… whatever, its not the easiest experience when i walked in and struggled to find my “station” in the giant room, and it would have been “nice” if the proctor could at least tell you where you were going in the 29minutes lock out. I

I don’t really think the venue is all that relevant here. You have control of what time you leave, and you clearly left late, leaving yourself open to all sorts of variables that are outside of your control. Maybe our risk tolerances differ, but I find the assumption that your experience would be the same as L1 and L2 wildly dangerous, and it looks like you got burned by it. There is nothing dogmatic about ensuring you’re on time for an exam you’ve spent months preparing for.

I’m not trying to be a jerk, just offering a different take on the situation, and maybe that will help a future candidate from being late.

You’re the type of person that doesn’t follow rules and then blames everyone else when punished for breaking them. Try acting like an adult and take ownership. CFAI are very clear with their rules about exam arrival and doors being locked. If you don’t like them, don’t sign up for the exam.

ha, ha :slightly_smiling_face: You seem a little vexed Shoot85? As a pedant, you should also adhere to your code of ethics treating your other participants in the global capital markets program with respect! Since you seem to know me so well, you will also appreciate I normally have a PA to do these matters, a wife to cook my food and mother to wash my laundry

fair enough itj, thanks for adding your extra comment. Got caught out with the room on the other side of exhibition hall, regrettable mistake.

My experience in Los Angeles was not stressful, but merely strange. At the lunch break, they closed all of the bathrooms near the exam buildings, and said the nearest open ones were about a 10 minute walk away.

i’ve sat at excel 3x. I remember waiting at kensington tube at 5:30 waiting for gates to open to get first district line…(yea i failed)

anyway this year was milan & woke up at 4am, parked the car at 6am, 2nd into the hall at 8:01

if you dont want to be last, its pretty easy to be first… even losers like me can manage it