How many of you guys were shocked by the first question in AM?

I am not referring to the specific topic tested to avoid violating ethic code, I think most of you guys know which question I am talking about:) Just out of curiosity, how many of you are underprepared for that part as AM question (thus shocked to see it as the first question)? lol If that’s the case, did you just skip to the second question directly or write some relevant points anyway? By question I mean the whole question consisting of several subsections. 

Then make sure you did everything you could to prepare—enroll in a review workshop to ace it on exam day.

More taken aback, really. Tried to quickly gather thoughts but didn’t want to burn time, so i quickly moved on and came back during final minutes. Wouldn’t have bet that particular topic would be under the gun… but that’s what makes these exams so unpredictable. 

Pen was moving faster than brain at that point  due to final few minutes ticking away and cannot even remember what I put down, to be honest. Some gibberish and scratched in numbers… hopeful for a pity point at very least.

Glad I skipped though or else I would be kicking myself for not getting to relatively easy later questions for some big points (at least, in my humble opinion).

I blacked out and have no idea what that question or topic was. I do remember finishing it and thinking “I’ll be lucky to get 3 points there”. 

Couldn’t believe it.. flipped to question 2 in about .5 seconds and came back with some gibberish in the last few minutes.

i had noticed the first topic while signing the pledge. After closing it and while the instructions where being announced, i kept on wondering how could that be the first and what i remember from that topic. So i took that time to reduce my shock but still got a bit caught. Was able to solve the question after initial couple of mins. 

Me, it almost ruined my AM. What a shocker

Pardon my French

First Q was a gift to me.

I think this question appeared in Schweser mocks multiple times.

essentially plug-n-chug for what i concluded

Seems I nailed this one.

I don't sell a smiling dog, forget about it .
The day before, walking through the park, he met me with her.

Infidel Cash Flo wrote:

Did you have to find the answer to the second question before solving the first? 

It was pretty much like that b -> a.

I remember the topic of Q1 and the actual question 1A, but not 1B or 1C or whatever. Maybe 1A was more explain/describe and 1B was calculate? Or the other way around? Can’t recall what 1C was, if there even was a 1C.

There was another part of the exam where I was unprepared, but had recently hit a TT or (IFT) mock that covered the key parts of Q1. And if anything, that’s the one area of that topic I’m stronger in. So … dumb luck on 1. I didn’t consider AM a difficult start till reading posts after.

Oh, found it. I think it’s in 2009 AM, ya? If you got killed on it there, and then went and read on the issue for 5 min, you’d be in a decent place.

Dick wrote:

Infidel Cash Flo wrote:

Did you have to find the answer to the second question before solving the first? 

Thanks for saying this. Now I’m not the only one who noticed that. We needed to solve for 1Aii before we could get 1Ai. Unless we messed it up but I doubt I did. Seems like they should have switched those.

+1

Good for you, hope you had enough nails left for the remaining qstns…I also seem to resolve the first 1 but let’s see…

Flashback wrote:

Seems I nailed this one.

Mikewinner wrote:

but let’s see…

Yep…agree.

The funny thing is that, if i recall correctly, it wasn’t worth much in point value…maybe 4 points at most (2 pts for each)? The world is freaking out over 1% in point total of a 6 hour exam. Puts it into perspective a bit better.

govt_cheese wrote:

The funny thing is that, if i recall correctly, it wasn’t worth much in point value…maybe 4 points at most (2 pts for each)? The world is freaking out over 1% in point total of a 6 hour exam. Puts it into perspective a bit better.

When a person gets a Band 10, every single point counts dude! Its just a matter of approx couple of points : Either you pass or fail!

At level III a band 10 and a pass is usually 1 or 2 points

+1

Yeah the point difference among different bands seems very tiny. Last year I failed with band 6 with total estimated point of 215(left last 3 AM questions worth 54 points blank due to poor time management). Suppose passing point is 230-240, each band’s range is 5 points or so.

googs1484 wrote:

At level III a band 10 and a pass is usually 1 or 2 points

very true.. most people are scoring between 55-65% and that’s where they set the MPS to bring the pain

guys…i completely understand the ever so marginal difference between a pass/fail with respect to LIII MPS.  the comment was geared more towards those that burned up 20+ minutes trying to recall a plug and do formula for only a handful of points.

govt_cheese wrote:

guys…i completely understand the ever so marginal difference between a pass/fail with respect to LIII MPS.  the comment was geared more towards those that burned up 20+ minutes trying to recall a plug and do formula for only a handful of points.

Ahh ok understood. You’re referring to actually taking the exam and time management 

SorcererMikey wrote:

saw the topic and immediately knew the exam writers were looking to have some fun with us, so I skipped the question right off the bat.  finished the rest of the exam and came back to it.  I realized reading the first part of the question that I was in fact right…this was perhaps the most bullsh*t question I’ve come up against in any level. 

Luckily I was able to scalp a few points here and there on it but what a joke. does anyone else feel like putting this first was designed to throw us off?

yeah, i’m with you in that camp. was very off-the-wall in my opinion, especially as the lead off! i think they were successful though, because it instilled a level of fear in me from the get go that i’d be on my heels the entire exam.  got into a bit of a groove after moving ahead, though.  still ran up to the buzzer, but i think that’s the nature of the beast.  tradeoff is between providing super quality answers to earn max points or simply hitting high level points and finishing early in hopes of revising to add color where needed. either way, we’ll see where everyone’s different methods of attacking this beast shake out come august.  until then, i think i’m done here :)

best of luck everyone! now go enjoy the outside world!

Yeah I saw this and was like Hmmmm….

I think i might have burned like 2 or 3 minutes and after that I skipped literally all the way to the back and jumped around. I also knew that there was another section that would bog a lot of people down with calculations. So I literally did everything else besides these two sections and came back later.

Filled in something for #1 and left 1 subsection blank (which was another 4 pointer) but I felt that I might have gotten the low hanging fruit I came to get? I don’t know, hard to say. We’ll see come August.

All men are created equal, some work harder in preseason.

I’ll admit, it got me. I knew this stuff and had practiced it a bit, but for some reason it wasn’t making sense. Exam jitters maybe. I didn’t let it stump me though. I wrote answers based on what I knew and moved on to stay on schedule. Bigger fish to fry. Hopefully my weakness in this section doesn’t come back to bite me.

Wow. I don’t even remember this question. It’s like my mind completely pushed out anything related to the examination. Probably has something to do with the level of alcohol consumed that evening.

Anyone complaining about the order of AM questions implicitly assumes CFAI dictates the order you choose to answer the questions and ignores the “Table of Contents” on the very first page

TLDR - anyone complaining about this was underprepared for this exam.

SHoot85 wrote:

Anyone complaining about the order of AM questions implicitly assumes CFAI dictates the order you choose to answer the questions and ignores the “Table of Contents” on the very first page

TLDR - anyone complaining about this was underprepared for this exam.  

Sorry buddy but you’re missing the point of this thread. We arent talking about having to answer question 2 before 1. We are talking about how we needed to solve for 1Aii before 1Ai.