Sign up  |  Log in

How many of you guys were shocked by the first question in AM?

The order of the question is what probably threw me off and maybe lose valuable time. After composing myself, I was confident I got most of the question correct.

Revision is futile......

Success starts with Schweser. Study packages designed to fit any lifestyle.

googs1484 wrote:

SHoot85 wrote:

Anyone complaining about the order of AM questions implicitly assumes CFAI dictates the order you choose to answer the questions and ignores the “Table of Contents” on the very first page

TLDR - anyone complaining about this was underprepared for this exam.  

Sorry buddy but you’re missing the point of this thread. We arent talking about having to answer question 2 before 1. We are talking about how we needed to solve for 1Aii before 1Ai.

The point of this thread was made by the OP (not you).  Yes, maybe separate issues have been derived but the point of the thread was not actually what you’re referencing. Regarding your issue, I do not remember having to solve questions out of order so I can’t comment to that.

Now i really want to know what that question was!!!

Can someone tell me in private message? haha, is that allowed?

NANA

Nope. Darling!:)

Gone fishing...

NANA Hachiko wrote:

Now i really want to know what that question was!!!

Can someone tell me in private message? haha, is that allowed?

NANA

You will definitely come to know when CFAI will officially make 2017 AM Questions out :) Though I believe it’s not worth all the hype that has been created in this thread (quality wise)!

SHoot85 wrote:

googs1484 wrote:

SHoot85 wrote:

Anyone complaining about the order of AM questions implicitly assumes CFAI dictates the order you choose to answer the questions and ignores the “Table of Contents” on the very first page

TLDR - anyone complaining about this was underprepared for this exam.

Sorry buddy but you’re missing the point of this thread. We arent talking about having to answer question 2 before 1. We are talking about how we needed to solve for 1Aii before 1Ai.

The point of this thread was made by the OP (not you).  Yes, maybe separate issues have been derived but the point of the thread was not actually what you’re referencing. Regarding your issue, I do not remember having to solve questions out of order so I can’t comment to that.

You made an inappropriate comment declaring people unprepared if they had to answer out of order because only CFAI dictates that order when you didn’t even have a basic understanding of the order we were talking about. You were trying to flex, and failed, making yourself appear incompetent and perhaps “unprepared”.

As the OP who created this thread, I didn’t mean to raise any unnecessary dispute:(… After all the exam is over we can’t change anything. Also considering the level 3 curriculum has not been changed for 4 years, it’s fair game for that topic to show up IMHO. My intention was just to create some causal topic(like myself being eye popping while WTF in my mind in the exam lol) and maybe make it a helpful lesson for next year’s level 3 taker about how to mentally and tactically deal with unexpected surprise ( so that if next year’s first question in AM is about ethics or GIPS, who cares? :) . Some previous posts already gave interesting coping mechanism for such a “shock”. Let’s just make this thread an open ended one and do not take anything too serious. Finally good luck to everyone and enjoy your life until August.

googs1484 wrote:

You made an inappropriate comment declaring people unprepared if they had to answer out of order because only CFAI dictates that order when you didn’t even have a basic understanding of the order we were talking about. You were trying to flex, and failed, making yourself appear incompetent and perhaps “unprepared”. 

In reality, you got your feelings hurt because you assumed my post was directed at yours, when I don’t know who you are nor care what you’re concerned with.  My post was addressing the OPs topic, which you seem to think mirrors yours - demonstrating a lack of reading comprehension (which may actually speak further to your own issue/concern in this thread).

Does anyone remember how many total questions were in AM? Was it 10 or 11? Don’t think that’s giving away anything.

I believe it was 10 if my memory serves me well.

Onward wrote:

I believe it was 10 if my memory serves me well.

And in PM was 60 multiple choice questions, fyi.

Gone fishing...

Onward wrote:

I believe it was 10 if my memory serves me well.

Isn’t it funny that we can’t remember exactly? I can’t either, but yeah I believe it was 10. I was so focused on staying on time and reading questions as carefully as possible that certain details of the AM portion are completely blank in my mind. I’ve been having my usual post exam anxiety dreams this week though and oddly enough I’ve woken up on a couple mornings remembering certain portions of the exam that I’d forgotten. The brain is weird.

Finally I have started with usual concerns as did I put my signature, did I make appropriate oval fillings on PM etc. Those are signs that things are going well.

Gone fishing...

Hahaha so true JayWill, and I hope that you, Flashback and I make the cut… gaaah, I would hate seeing you gents not make it with all the contribution and effort you’ve put in!! But I have faith cool

I will likely forget to check when the questions get posted… please remind me, lol

NANA

Onward wrote:

Hahaha so true JayWill, and I hope that you, Flashback and I make the cut… gaaah, I would hate seeing you gents not make it with all the contribution and effort you’ve put in!! But I have faith cool

Likewise Onward. We’ll see in a couple of months. Positive thoughts all around! yes

JayWill wrote:

Onward wrote:

Hahaha so true JayWill, and I hope that you, Flashback and I make the cut… gaaah, I would hate seeing you gents not make it with all the contribution and effort you’ve put in!! But I have faith cool

Likewise Onward. We’ll see in a couple of months. Positive thoughts all around! yes

yeswink

Gone fishing...

SHoot85 wrote:

googs1484 wrote:

You made an inappropriate comment declaring people unprepared if they had to answer out of order because only CFAI dictates that order when you didn’t even have a basic understanding of the order we were talking about. You were trying to flex, and failed, making yourself appear incompetent and perhaps “unprepared”. 

In reality, you got your feelings hurt because you assumed my post was directed at yours, when I don’t know who you are nor care what you’re concerned with.  My post was addressing the OPs topic, which you seem to think mirrors yours - demonstrating a lack of reading comprehension (which may actually speak further to your own issue/concern in this thread).

I don’t have feelings. Having said that, you are right. What I was referencing was a “subtopic” within this thread. So I’ll give you that. I just found it inappropriate to come here and call anyone underprepared at a time when everyone is hoping for the best, for everyone, hopefully. And I dont see how answering out of order has anything to do with preparedness. I, for one, was far from underprepared and answered every question in order. I’m not worried about anything except my handwriting. Anyways, bygons be bygons. Take it easy boss man. 

Onward wrote:

I believe it was 10 if my memory serves me well.

how’d you do? did you feel like you made the test your B**** 

i feel pretty good about it. gonna hold off the celebrations but at least i should feel peace of mind till August. Biggest part was I finished the AM part and finished the PM part with ease. took my time, even got some water, took a 2 min stretch, and took a dump. 

you should know this by now

AlmostDoneIII wrote:

Onward wrote:

I believe it was 10 if my memory serves me well.

how’d you do? did you feel like you made the test your B**** 

i feel pretty good about it. gonna hold off the celebrations but at least i should feel peace of mind till August. Biggest part was I finished the AM part and finished the PM part with ease. took my time, even got some water, took a 2 min stretch, and took a dump. 

It’s your second attempt. It does not count. It’s like praising success on repeated Mock test.:)

Gone fishing...

It was definitely 10 questions because I had a minor freakout thinking it was 11 after having a few minutes to review my answers and thought I missed one.

First question was a surprise for sure and it got me. Second half of the first question was not bad though. Seriously though, what is the percentage chance that was showing up, maybe 5%? I understand we should be prepared for anything but dang, to hit you like that right away was so CFAI

i didn’t know that I was doing B first until I finished A but ya, like the others said, B can feed into A, depending on how you execute it.

AlmostDoneIII wrote:

Onward wrote:

I believe it was 10 if my memory serves me well.

how’d you do? did you feel like you made the test your B**** 

i feel pretty good about it. gonna hold off the celebrations but at least i should feel peace of mind till August. Biggest part was I finished the AM part and finished the PM part with ease. took my time, even got some water, took a 2 min stretch, and took a dump. 

Hey AlmostDoneIII. Hahahaha i dont know about making the exam my **** lol but i am cautiously optimistic. I posted my post-exam thoughts on the first page of this thread :) glad to hear that you did so well!!! yessmiley

i knew the formula so i wrote that down for starters … but just couldn’t get the figures from the table … hoping to get partial credit for the formula

oh man, exactly what i went thru! but you wouldn’t think CFAI would intentionally do that…

They were testing if you’re composed enough to skip it and leave it for later and not lose your cool. So many people appear to have failed this basic test. The arbitrary and natural desire to solve sections in order when not needed can be crippling.

Viraj Swaroop wrote:
NANA Hachiko wrote:
Now i really want to know what that question was!!!

Can someone tell me in private message? haha, is that allowed?

NANA

You will definitely come to know when CFAI will officially make 2017 AM Questions out

Only if some compassionate Level III candidate lets her see a copy.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

Yep. Total nonsense. Wrote out the formula and then signed my name ‘*** *****’

^I often wonder if people get all saucey on their papers - write out a nice joke to the markers, or maybe pen a nice comic strip. I surely didn’t have the time.

JayWill wrote:

I’ll admit, it got me. I knew this stuff and had practiced it a bit, but for some reason it wasn’t making sense. Exam jitters maybe. I didn’t let it stump me though. I wrote answers based on what I knew and moved on to stay on schedule. Bigger fish to fry. Hopefully my weakness in this section doesn’t come back to bite me.

Felt the same way…it was frustrating. Like grrrrr I know this, but can’t do it. Fortunately I went strong parts first so I didn’t even see the hell of Q1 until about 2 hours into the exam…in which I burned any time I had built up, for junk. Without a doubt will be my hardest page to grade.