Will you look for a change in role (what role) /job , if you pass?

Feel free to discuss current role.

I’ve always wondered just how/if I am underpaid. I was told I’d get a “material” raise if I pass so what ever that is will be a big factor in my decision to stay or seek other options. I’m a loyal employee by nature but also want to be compensated for my efforts. My boss is an amazing guy, great to work with and empathic. My primary role is performance analysis of third party money managers we use for clients. Im not in a city so cost of living is lower, but almost all new england is still expensive. I’m making a little over 75k right now including bonus so I’m deciding what I expect “material raise” to be right now. I’m thinking 85k. If I were in NYC or boston of course it’d be higher than that. I’ve only been in this role for 6 months though.

You’ll see, nothing but…

#Models&Bottles

Googs. I think if you get 10% more that would be good increase.

I came to the conclusion/realization that passing level 3 and getting the charter will NOT make a difference in my job search… any position I apply to will call me back based on my experience and a job offer would not be be dependent on having the letters.

HOWEVER; I believe having the charter would allow me to demand a higher salary… maybe 10-15%

yes - looking to gradually move into freelance/services role. having the charter in my country is a requirement in many tenders for valuation/consulting projects. so I plan on uber-like cooperation with valuation/consulting firms after getting the charter. and then ideally starting my own firm after figuring out how it all works.

only if i pass!

yes that’s an important assumption ))

Managing Director (Global Operations), will not accept nothing lower.

Local CFA societies publish annual compensation surveys that are pretty detailed (by role, comp structure, years of experience etc.). Look into that.

yes although im applying for roles before i get the charter.

key thing is that the charter should put a floor on my earnings

Constant mix has a floor.

… and the fixed deposit has an interest rate … ))

Just accepted a new role so likely wont be looking. Ops/Acct for a Real Estate fund, most of the MD’s/CIO know I have an interest in finance/CFA so will look to get involved in the originations/deal side/asset management side as I get more seasoned. Its a small team with a ton of exposure so I imagine I will be able to swing something like that eventually.

Yes – I work in TS at a big 4 accounting firm, but I have a huge love for real estate. I’m working with three other investors who are close friends. If I passed the CFA exam, I’m hoping to join a firm specializing in real estate deals to get a better working knowledge of the industry to supplement my side businesses. I know I should be diversifying my HC, but hey :).

you should be making a minimum all-in of 100k if you’re a CFA, especially in that role. Any less, I’d leave.