When can you say you are a charter holder?

I see some of us updated the name with Charterholder already…I thought we have to wait for the approval? Confused

Checked “Your Profile” on CFA website. It reads Charter Awarded on Aug 8, 2017 in my case.

Some people, like me, were already CFAI and local society members, so once we passed Level 3 we immediately became charterholders. Our job experience and references were already checked then.

Got it…So you started the process before the results came out?

I became a regular member about 1.5 years ago because my company wanted me to attend some local society events. My society offers a lot of free speaker events too so it was well worth it.

I was a regular member from 2006 to 2009 for work related reasons. Just reactivated membership on results and i see the profile updated.

Thank you guys. Never thought about joining before I passed the exam as I didn’t usually have the time. Now I understand the advantage!

I had my work experience all pre approved already. Just had to pay the membership fees.

No advantage except bragging rights couple of months before others

anyone has an idea of how much time is taking to verify employment and references?

In my case the whole process took 1 week including local society approval. I applied last year.

thank you, i wonder if this could change given high volume of applications after results. thank you!

Received a mail from CFAI today confirming the status

“You are now a CFA® charterholder, and you may begin using the coveted CFA designation!”

Congratulations! Awesome

Hi All,

Could someone please tell me how the verification of the references work?

Will I need to line up people describing my job and qualities, or is it just some official check whether I really worked in the said position?

Reason I’m asking: my working experience which I’m pretty sure counts as acceptable goes back to pre 2012 times. So it will be a tad ackward to reach back to past bosses.

(OK I still have to pass LIII first, I know it…)

References are usually Charterholders that knows you. Wrt work ex, it goes by self certification, I think. Do not remember what I did in 2006.

They have to fill in a form where they have to type in what your job entails and whether 50% or more of the time you are involved in the investment decision making process.

I suspect someone who was in doubt whether they would type the correct thing would proabably send a preemptive email to said referees to tell them what to write but what do I know?

Ok. I had a visiting faculty and a classmate that were Charterholders and both were members of CFA Chicago.