First time fail - Band 7 - my thoughts...

Hi all,

My first ever post on AF - please provide feedback and ask any questions. Thanks.

Matrix below:

• AM 6/2/2 with PM 3/3/4 (counting Ethics as two)

How I felt before the exam:

• I work in a FoF company and placed work above my studies. I was pulling all-nighters to get work done and would have weeks where I would only be able to study on the weekends. I only finished covering the Schweser books and EOC CFAI questions a week before the exam (I did not even look at GIPS).
  • I placed too much emphasis on Schweser Q Bank - I completed over a 30% of Q Bank but did no mock exams. This generally worked for me on Level 1 and Level 2.
  • I contemplated doing a no-show for the exam as I knew I was not prepared. I decided to take the exam on the chance there would be a miracle and also get the experience. I think this was the right decision, although I not have to tell my employer and colleagues I failed - I’m worried they will think less of me.

How I felt after the exam:

• I left out 3 whole questions on AM. I simply ran out of time. I spent too much time on performance evaluation and risk management but scored >70% on these areas.
  • I found the PM to be easier and I finished with 20 minutes to spare. I did find the monitor & rebalance section difficult; my answers did not come out and the questions threw me.

How will I respond:

• I have already registered for next year. I will be taking 2 weeks holiday before the exam and strongly push back on work so I can focus on my studying. I don’t care if I don’t get promoted because of this.
  • I will do the CFAI mock exams by topic area and time myself. I want at least 2 months of just practice.
  • I think Schweser is sufficient when combined with EOC CFAI. I am looking into LevelUp but its not offered in the UK.
  • For all retakers - how we respond is a question of character. Lets try learn from the failure and be positive. IT’S TIME FOR RETRIBUTION.

Q#

Topic

Max Pts

<=50%

51%-70%

>70%

Alternative Investments

Portfolio Management - Institutional

Portfolio Management - Performance Eval.

Portfolio Management - Individual

Portfolio Management - Indiv/Behavioral

Economics

Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation

Fixed Income Investments

Portfolio Management - Risk Management

Item Set

Q#

Topic

Max Pts

<=50%

51%-70%

>70%

Economics

Equity Investments

Ethical & Professional Standards

Fixed Income Investments

Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation

Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance

Portfolio Management - Performance Eval.

Portfolio Management - Risk Management