Tough to digest, Need guidance

Hi everyone, First of all congratulations to those who passed L3 :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I wasn’t one of those 54% people who passed. I am attaching my marks also. The thing is, to be honst My morning paper wasnt that bad the way It is. And I got a band 3 even after PM result being 6/0/4, But yes for me AM is more shocking. I want to ask whether it is worth wasting 100$ or go to a bar, get sloshed and start studying again.

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

We sincerely regret to inform you that you did not pass the June 2017 Level III CFA exam. 54% of candidates passed the June 2017 Level III CFA exam. A summary of your exam result is provided below. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each topic area.

We encourage you to consider registering for the June 2018 Level III CFA exam. Registration will be available tomorrow, 9 August 2017 after 9:00 a.m. ET on the CFA Institute website. (Please note that you must have a valid international travel passport to register. Learn more about the identification policy.) Kindly contact us if we can answer any questions about the CFA Program.

Essay

Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Alternative Investments 19 * - - 2 Portfolio Management - Institutional 22 * - - 3 Portfolio Management - Performance Eval. 15 * - - 4 Portfolio Management - Individual 15 * - - 5 Portfolio Management - Indiv/Behavioral 15 * - - 6 Portfolio Management - Individual 22 - - * 7 Economics 14 * - - 8 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 20 * - - 9 Fixed Income Investments 21 * - - 10 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 17 - * -

Item Set

Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Economics 18 - - * - Equity Investments 18 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 18 - - * - Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 18 - - * - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 * - - - Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 18 * - - - Portfolio Management - Performance Eval. 18 * - - - Portfolio Management - Risk Management 18 * - -

We have divided the group of candidates who did not pass into 10 approximately equal score bands. Your score band below shows how your overall score on the exam compares with the overall scores of candidates who did not pass this exam. For example, a score band of 1 indicates performance in the bottom 10%, a score band of 10 indicates performance in the top 10%. Your score band: 3

Lol. Just start studying again

I am sorry to hear that you didn’t make it Parthdiwan007. You want to re-tab a band 3? My concern would be in regards to your decision making and capability to self-assess… I’d start studying ASAP and get someone to objectively critique your answers and level of understanding and overall knowledge of the material…

Agree, with onward. Bite bullet, learn from this, and improve. Don’t retab a band 3. Your AM is horrendous. Sorry about being blunt but you need to mock til you drop.

I would only retab if I thought I’d smashed it coming out of the exam and the result was a complete surprise. If you were usure how you did you probably did fail and I’d save myself the $100.

The institute seem very thorough in how they mark people so I can’t imagine they have made a mistake.

Band 3. Your retab won’t help you. You need to study and study now. I would pay for LevelUp

I dont think there is a case for retab - you have too much sections below <50% in the morning and frankly those sections can be as low as 0. Morning session is graded manually and I dont think there is a chance that they have made mistake as the grading process is pretty complex.

I concur, don’t bother with a retab. The mix of your matrixes tells me that you weren’t quite strong enough in the material, particularly in the Portfolio Management readings. Use this result to help focus your learning plan for next year and yes, you may want to consider one of the video teaching packages like IFT or LevelUp. Good luck!

I would agree with everyone here…just hit the books hard and start studying early then do lots and lots and lots of practice exams… this is where i failed myself and planning on spending all of may and june just doing practice exams both AM and PM but mostly AM to get my time management under way.

What have I found with CFA exams is about knowing the material hard cold so you can just write the answer to the AM questions without thinking about it… spending too much time thinking about a solution will kill you and will leave questions blank like I did…

Good luck bud

I will be more active here in the NY to both contribute and take away pointers from all L3 studiers…I have made passing this my exam #1 priority for 2018… never failed anything in my life before CFA exam yet alone twice (be it 7 years apart)… time to get revenage on this exam…

Take some time off. Mentally you need to be fresh for any of the CFA exams. Take a step back to consider how you can improve the next time round. There is no point starting to study now if all you are going to do is make similar mistakes.

Planning, organization and structure in your study will get you a long way than just “starting early”.

Your AM is the problem - from the look of things - not enough practice.

For this next attempt - use the CFA material (more to get familiar with the language and the content)

also do a lot of the practice exams - every one of them - multiple times over - and each time - WRITE OUT By HAND your answers - and grade them objectively.

Esp. with the Individual and Institutional IPS - make sure to follow what is being done in the guideline answers.

CP

I think it’s sound advice to say hit the books early, but if someone can pass L2 and then bomb the AM section of L3 I think they need more than just practice. OP needs to consider a brand new approach to attacking the AM questions and maybe even considering hiring a tutor- it’s a methodology that doesn’t come naturally for some people but could certainly be taught.

Band 3 last year, pass this year.

Was shocked because I defo put in a serious amount of work last year.

As said above…you have to actually do the AM papers, not look at the question then the answer and think ohh I understand I won’t bother writing it out…no no no…its too easy to to fall in this trap