New Charterholder Notification Form - Proper Use of CFA Designation?

On the CFA Institute’s website, the first sentence of the boilerplate letter CFAI uses for informing the peers/colleagues of new charterholders reads:

“We are excited to inform you that [Your Name] is now a Chartered Financial Analyst®.”

The letter is signed by Paul Smith, President and CEO of CFAI.

Can someone please explain to me how this is considered proper usage of the designation?

I hope they loosen the rules up on that stuff. The market calls CFA charterholders just “CFAs” - and you look like a douche if you correct people

I agree the most correct form would be to say some is a CFA Charterholder… but I think I calling someone a “Chartered Financial Analyst” is less worse that saying… “you are a CFA”…

At my firm its nonstop where we are referred to as CFAs. Sometimes we are called the CFA Team. We are constantly correcting managers but I think they think its funny, more being done just to get a rise out of us.

According Volume 1, Reading 2, Exhibit 4 of the Level 3 materials it is improper because the designation must always be used as adjectives, never as nouns.

Link to source: http://imgur.com/a/9mdp9

From the email template:

“We are excited to inform you that [Your Name] is now a Chartered Financial Analyst®.”

From the Trademark Usage Guide:

Improper

• John Smith is a CFA.
  • John Smith is a Chartered Financial Analyst.
  • John Smith and Amy Jones are CFAs.

??? :open_mouth:???

CFAI COE

Do not ever use at nouns. Use as adjectives.

it could be that there is an exemption if it’s the actual CFAI referring to people as Charterholders

else

someone shoukd submit an official violation complaint on the President lol

Maybe Chartered Financial Analyst® with the “R” will make it a noun and not adjectives.

What’s the link to that boilerplate letter?

I believe it’s a custom link for each of us based on our email address. It takes us to a form where we have fields to input a recipient’s name and their email address, then hit a submit button. I’ll generate one to your info email box Bill.

I haven’t found anybody who added ® after CFA beside the name.

I sent an e-mail to CFA Institute.

I’ll let y’all know the reply.

Thank you. I’m curious to know.

Bump. Any update?

I’ll let you know when I get a reply.

Patience, grasshopper.

^ thumbs up

I received the generic letter in the mail this week. The offending sentence from the email blast differs from the language in the physical copy. The latter reads:

“It is my pleasure to advise you that [Your Name], CFA has earned the Chartered Financial Analyst® (CFA®) credential and is a member of the CFA Institute.”

Order has been restored. Rest easy.

Calm down guys, the letter actually said:

“We are excited to inform you that [Your Name] is now a Chartered Financial Analyst® charterholder

Well I guess when you make the rules you have an exception…

But in my experience I never hear anyone with their CFA ever use it incorrectly. The only time I hear it incorrectly are from people who don’t have their CFA but are familiar with the designation.