Is Queens mfin a value addition from job prospects although a cfa level 3 candidate

Thanks so much for taking me into your consideration!

As you also have been floating on same boat on which am trying to get on now.

Request you to please help me by giving me a few seconds out of your precious time and I shall be highly obliged and grateful

Queens mfin vs University of Toronto mfin.

Dear Sir hereby I request to seek your guidance in order to understand which would be more appropriate for me in your opinion, I.e pursuing MFin from Queens or from University of Toronto

Though is very hard for me to afford mfin from university of Toronto but still I really request you to share yours precious reviews, as your review and guidance can really change my life.

Moreover please guide if it would be right to pursue mfin from Queens when I have already done MBA in Finance from India around with cfa level 2 clear

How it will help me find better job and what are the job prospects for me when I would have done MFin from Queens along with being CFA level 3 clear and MBA in Finance.

I shall be very obliged and grateful to you if you can guide me through this as this is gonna have huge impact in my career and life as well.

… dude this is a forum… you’re not writing an obnoxious cover letter to buttress our egos… lol and with an MBA in finance and potentially a CFA under your belt soon, I’d say an MFin is a total and utter waste of money.

First I will disclose I’m a Queen’s B.Comm graduate so you can judge my advice accordingly

Queen’s has a great 12 month MFin program that is great not only because Queen’s is a great school, but because you can complete the program in downtown Toronto while you’re working full time.

UofT has a 20 month program that you can also complete in downtown Toronto while working full time.

The Queen’s program is roughly half of the total cost for the MFin at UofT.

Admittedly, the UofT program has better job placement from what I’ve seen. They get placed into much more high finance type roles than Queen’s graduates. If money is not an issue, UofT. If money & time are of concern, choose Queen’s.

This assumes you’re going to move forward with either each way but you should really consider whether you aught to be doing either with an MBA in finance already + CFA. This seems like enough in today’s marketplace although I can understand that MBA’s/Master degrees completed outside of Canada/USA/Europe can be looked upon less favourably.

I’m actually enrolled in the UofT MFin starting in September.

The reason I chose the UofT MFin over other schools:

All other Canadian MFins are CFA program partners with CFA integration, Rotman’s undergrad is a CFA program partner with integration.

The Rotman MFin expects you to have already completed most if not all of the CFA program by the time you start, and they aren’t teaching you to pass the CFA exams, they’re diving deeper into the concepts and theory.

I have a CFA Charter, I don’t need to relearn the same material. I have a BBA, same reason I’m not taking an MBA.

I will say, when hiring, I look at an MBA from India as being below a domestic BBA/BComm.

From Queen’s Mfin/U of T B.Comm graduate perspective,

I chose Queen’s over U of T due to

1. Tuition

2. Duration

3. Bittersweet undergraduate experience @St. George lol

Yes, it is true that U of T MFin program is composed of more ‘SEASONED’ financial gurus (e.g. CFA charters/longer work experience and etc) compared with Queen’s.

After graduation, however, it all depends on YOU how to tackle in competitive job market, especially in Toronto.

There is NO guaranteed job offer simply because you hold CFA charter or MFin degree.

Also, as indicated above, it is true that MBA from abroad incl. India is relatively less favored, compared with that from North America and Europe.

I don’t regret my decision for Queen’s MFin program at all; however, I think master of financial engineering might be more helpful for my career.

USA>Canada>other places like India

Just out of curiosity, may I ask why you would consider an MBA from India below a domestic BBA/BComm. And just to extend the statement, you obviously consider an MBA from India to be lower than a domestic MBA.

Just curious - no skin in the game. For transparency, I’m a domestic undergrad.

Thanks.

yes yes get as many credentials as possible

So I did a post graduate certificate a few years back not realizing it was a visa mill. (Basically you do the one year essentially part time program and you can get a two year visa to work in the country, which is a path to permanant residency and citizenship).

A good portion of the class was international students from India and most had MBAs.

There were two things I noticed about the group as a whole, and there weren’t exceptions.

1. The knowledge was lacking, no critical thinking skills, no problem solving skills. I’d expect better from someone with an undergrad degree.

2. Academic integrity was a foreign concept to them. They all cheated off eachother, there was so much plagerism when it came to assignments. Coming from a domestic school where you were forced to screen everyting through Turn It In, I would never think to plagerise anything. And cheating is just wrong. But obviously this type of behaviour is allowed when it comes to graduate degrees in India.

So for those two reasons, I will discount a graduate degree from India to below that of a domestic business degree.

Sounds like you don’t have a strong network in Toronto. If you can afford it, do U of T.

You’re buying a job placement. With no network, a lower placement from Queen’s will hamper your career for years. The extra cost of U of T will pay off quickly.

Plus, U of T will provide more of a community in Toronto. With Queen’s, you’re just attending classes in Toronto; 99% of campus life is 250km west.