When are you going to start studying?

I am personally going to start Saturday 30th of September which will give me 7 months to go thorough the whole curriculum by the levelup boot camp I’ve enrolled for in early April. Which will leave me 2 and a half months of review for the big dance.

Save 10% on a Schweser CFA Premium Package when you order by September 29, 2017.

Probably sometime in mid-December. Let me know how you like Marc’s L3 lecture videos. 

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." -Viktor Frankl

Passed this year.  Started in September.

I was just wondering the same thing… when to order the books? I’m sitting here enjoying doing nothing after work and having my weekends (bless) but am kind of getting itchy knowing what’s coming next year… 

I originally thought that I was going to wait until thanksgiving time before starting, but knowing the test is 3 weeks back.. maybe not a bad look to do December

Don't forget to carry the one.

Retaker, passed this year.

First time, start late October/Early November

Retaker, start in January

Bear in mind the exam next year will be on June 23. You have more time

Start now.

The sooner you start, the sooner you will come to the stage where you feel comfortable. Many who will start too late will crying and grinding their teeth at spring.

Gone fishing...

I was so burnt out after level 2. I started the first Monday in January - passed easily. My job has nothing to do with portfolio management, but it wasn’t an issue. Used Schweser

Failed Band 9 this year and I’ve started this week, although it’s been very light. Was really pissed when I got the fail email so I had to get back in it.

^ Ya’ll pass next time, just stay focused and finish off this thing.

Gone fishing...

Personally, I don’t think there is any reason to start until 2018.  First week in January will give you plenty of time to get through the curriculum, read it again, and then have 2 months of practice exams.  

^ What about those who have a plenty of time during summer but not in January?

Gone fishing...

I have a slow and steady pace so I’ll be starting in October like with Level 2. Ran out of time for everything I wanted for Level 2 so I’m prepping for Level 3 as if it’s at the start of June so I’ll have those extra few weeks to target my holes (which should be minimal since I’m planning to be exam ready by end of May)

Rather put an extra 100 hours in now than have to retake and spend hundreds of more hours again next time.

I started with book 2 in October  and went through it very diligently (2x) -  (1st book - Ethics left for last weeks). It’s crucial to start early and read the curriculum.  Early start = more confidence especially for AM part. Bear in mind that you need to beat approximately 50% of level III candidates and postponing the start will probably lower your odds (on average).

I started a week and a half ago, and just started the second book. One more level to go. I’m in it to win it! There is no backing down now.

Already started but struggling. Finished last year’s Secret sauce and started to read Curriculum. In the middle of ethics. In parallel watching last year’s videos.

As I am first-timer - not yet dared to attempt any AM sort of questions or even Qbank I already purchased.

Distracted by all these putins, trumps and terrorists. If there were god and hell, these all would go directly where they should.

Damn you’re starting early! 

I started reading the curriculum already, slowly and casually during my commute. I plan to finish until year-end, from January I intend to start more intensely with Schweser. May/June for mocks/prior year exams.

Nenorr wrote:

May/June for mocks/prior year exams.

Start earlier since you have to practice AM sessions beside usual PM form Mocks and TTs. Latest in early April.

Gone fishing...

Starting a curriculum read through with Mark Meldrum videos Sept 1. Slow and steady wins the race.

Come Jan I will have covered hopefully all the books and then swtich to Schweser with IFT. Want 2 months for practice exams this time around. 

This is my ideal plan. Whether I stick to it or not lol… 

.....woof

For what it is worth, I started in early / mid-December and passed.  When did you start studying for levels I & II?  I find starting later, but devoting more time per study session, helped me more than starting early.  I never really experienced the burnout.   

Started last week. Failed 2x already making me probably one of the OG veterans in the L3 community.

Level 3 is kinda like going to a buffet and getting more food than you can finish. Quitting and throwing it away hurts more than if you just sit down and finish it. - VWJETTY

For levels II and III, I had started pretty much immediately upon getting the materials.  I’m amazed at people that say starting in January was sufficient for them.  Despite how early I started, I still felt pressured and not 100% comfortable 2 months out though I did pass both II and III on 1st attempt.  I think I would have felt too much under the gun if I started in January.  Guess it just takes some a bit more time than others to absorb the material.

Consider early studying and (light) readings as a warming-up for hard practicing at the later stage. There is no such thing as a starting too early.

VWJETTY knows what he’s talking about. Listen him.:)

Gone fishing...

I passed L3 on my first attempt and I had started reading and taking my own notes in mid September, I was done with my first go through the curriculum and my note taking right before the new year holidays. Took a break until mid January, then combined my notes and schweser for more intensive studying and concept drilling until late March. April and May was all CFAI past AMs, CFAI topic tests, and Schweser mocks (not a great fan of the latter in the morning/essay testing department, but still helps to reinforce some concepts). This timeline worked for me and I didn’t feel overly burdend throughout the whole process, it is all about pacing.

• Eat regularly.
  • Sleep well.
  • Make a love often.

Thus, NO burn-out.

It’s a weird thing what human can bear when is forced to do so.

Gone fishing...

Flashback wrote:

^ What about those who have a plenty of time during summer but not in January?

Each situation is different, I suppose in that case it would make sense to start earlier if you are going to be out of the game for 1-2 months in early winter.

My opinion is that 5-6 months of “full time” studying is more than enough time to pass any level of the CFA program.  Outside of this forum, I’ve never actually met anyone who studied longer than six months (that includes numerous colleagues and peers in many different areas of the industry.)  It obviously varies from person to person, but the reason I usually tell new candidates and friends/colleagues that 5-6 months is enough is that the average person (in my opinion) will do better with a focused study plan as opposed to a longer grind through holidays/etc. 

It’s also worth noting that it’s likely much easier for us married guys to sacrifice our social lives.  If you asked me to give up 5 months of weekends when I was 24 and single, I would have looked at you like you had two heads.  Now  thta I’m married, I almost enjoyed the excuse to skip the lame dinners/parties to study- lol.

chitown84 wrote:

Each situation is different, I suppose in that case it would make sense to start earlier if you are going to be out of the game for 1-2 months in early winter.

My opinion is that 5-6 months of “full time” studying is more than enough time to pass any level of the CFA program.  Outside of this forum, I’ve never actually met anyone who studied longer than six months (that includes numerous colleagues and peers in many different areas of the industry.)  It obviously varies from person to person, but the reason I usually tell new candidates and friends/colleagues that 5-6 months is enough is that the average person (in my opinion) will do better with a focused study plan as opposed to a longer grind through holidays/etc. 

It’s smart thing to ensure spare time for some unexpected events which may happen and according to Murphy, it will happen. Illness in family, the death of family member (mother in law, etc), unexepected events at work place…

chitown84 wrote:

It’s also worth noting that it’s likely much easier for us married guys to sacrifice our social lives.  If you asked me to give up 5 months of weekends when I was 24 and single, I would have looked at you like you had two heads.  Now  thta I’m married, I almost enjoyed the excuse to skip the lame dinners/parties to study- lol.

Agree, same with me. It’s much easier for me to concentrate and dedicate my free time to studying in 40s than it was the case in my 20s. My spouse’s support also matters.

Gone fishing...

I started reading middle/late October last year. Taking my own handwritten notes along the way. I enjoyed not really feeling rushed and could read at my own pace for the first couple months. Probably put in maybe 5-10 hours a week until January. After that it was serious and upped it to 2-3 hours a day, and 7-8 Saturday and 7-8 Sunday until week before test day. 

I think I’m going to start September 1. 

January.. anytime earlier is unnecessarily draining my social life. 

you met me at a very strange time in my life

I started late January after the marathon and races season. Everyone is different, I needed a refreshing break after level II and couldn’t start earlier. I also travelled three times while studying and the break did help alot. Don’t stress on when to start and just focus on the startegy that fits you. Everyone is different.