Passing all three levels using secret sauce

Just posting this out of curiosity to see how many others are out there that might have shared my prep strategy. I realize that above all else, I must have been bestowed a great deal of luck in passing all three levels, the last of which I just recently passed.

My prep strategy for each level was largely predicated upon reading and studying the secret sauce like the dead sea scrolls. I’d read the Schweser notes for maybe 2-3 chapters for each level for topics where the SSS wasn’t quite sufficient in explaining the concepts, but otherwise left it mostly untouched. CFAI readings and EOC Qs were left completely untouched. Additionally for each level, I’d made flash cards for every main concept/definition/formula in each chapter from the SSS, tackled 20-30 TTs on the Institute website, and done ~2 official mocks/past tests. I do have a background in finance from undergrad as well which helped especially with L1.

Based on my matrices, all my passes were likely narrow and this strategy was definitely risky. Anyone else with similarly disconcerting study habits?

i watched videos, did pq, and mock exams.

never read the books. lol i still have my l3 and l2 books plastic wrapped. l1 i checked out, but got bored around the first twenty pages.

even the secret sauce was too long for me. lol

Behold my secret sauce

I must admit that I never made a single note throughout the process. Just read the books and watched the videos then did end of chapter questions and some qbank.

I saw people making reams and reams of notes and highlighting stuff but I think that’s a waste of time that would be better spent doing practice questions and exams.

different strokes for different folks. too many people here think they have the answer simply because it worked for them.

I didn’t even study.

My gf begged me to take it and registered on my behalf. Sat for the exams in pjs passed all three all on first attempt in 2.5 years. Didn’t even open the box that contained the books from the CFAI.

Just trollin’

I passed all 3 level on 1 attempt. I mean, took and passed them all at once (ain’t nobody got time to wait a year to take a test). Watched only one Youtube video related to the CFA (kinda) (+ Andy Holmes’ pencil trick one).

its taboo to talk about but differences in IQ are real… i dont know what the scale is exactly but a difference in 10-20 points above the average will make a HUGE difference in ease of passing the CFA exams (and any other type of standardize exams) which would imply being accepted into better rated colleges>> MS/GS>> profit

i was studying in da club with nerdy

I only used SS too, except I just had my wife read it to me while I laid on the couch watching TV…

1 Like

I wrote CFA 1 in Sydney Australia and then hopped on a jet and studied CFA 2 on the way to LA to make the CFA 2 exam. Wrote both exams in the same sitting accounting for time difference. Waited a year to write CFA 3. Passed all three exams in 1 year total.

Program is a joke. Easiest, quickest route.

^^ pff, dude, please…

I know a couple guys from China who bought their charters for less than the institute’s registration fees. That’s what I call winning.

Re secret sauce only — Impaso !

the posts are getting juicier or should i say Saucier :)))

Despite the trolls, I can say I did something similar.

Secret sauce and a dose of Qbank (but less than they recommend) plus a few Schweser chapters where I needed it has gotten me through the first 2 levels. Plus a few Schweser mocks which is just qbank mixed up. I’m more of a top down/concept learner than a formula memorizer. I looked at a formula app with some 300 or so formulas and quickly deleted it. I wouldn’t pass if I studied that way. So I look at it as different not necessarily better or worse.

oh yeah and the Schweser quick sheets.

Hopefully it will work for level 3.

Wow. Whoever passed just on SS and 3 mocks per level is amazingly smart and lucky! I watched videos and did sh** load of practice questions and mock exams. I think the mocks exams have the highest ROI.

^mock till u drop