Plagiarism

I am currently a masters student in finance and have been writing my final exams. I have a quick question regarding plagiarism. One of my modules focuses on portfolio management so I naturally thought the CFA material would be good prep for my exam. However, I noticed that in my exam my lecturer has only used CFA level 3 questions from past exams. The questions are repeated verbatim. He does not credit the CFA anywhere in the exam. Surely this constitutes some form of plagiarism? I mean I had to sign a declaration of plagiarism for my dissertation.

That’s crazy. I’d report that to CFA Institute… All the exams and books are copyrighted by the CFA Institute.

Hi, Jack.

As far as I remember the Code & Standards do not impose any restrictions on any study materials and exam questions in the I© Misrepresentation standard. This standard refers to investment research and similar stuff only. Therefore, hardly can you provide any evidence that your lecturer has breached any CFA ethics rule even being a CFA Institute member or a CFA program candidate.

Wouldn’t that be I(A) Knowledge of the Law? Also, the institute’s copyright permission is clearly stated here:

https://www.cfainstitute.org/about/governance/policies/Pages/copyright_permission_policy_for_cfa_institute_programs_materials.aspx

I was thinking about I(D) Misconduct (stealing, etc.), because falling into I(A) means you have proven that the lecturer has done sth against the US copyright laws. Until you don’t have a conviction os sth in hand, you cannot conclude the breach of the I(A) Standard.

Guess, it’s worth following a standard track: address the problem to a supervisor (hell knows who may be a supervisor of the topic starter), obtain advice from an independent legal counsel, etc.

Shortly, this is the plagiarism. No another name for such thing.

Wow - not only plagiarism but also not the most positive indicator of your program’s level of effort on creating material.

Sounds like you are attending Creighton University ha ha