Return Objective of a Pension

An answer to a mock says:

’The R.O is for the plan to achieve a NOMINAL return that is sufficient to fund the liabilities on an inflation adjusted basis. Therefore it is the discount rate of 8% + Inflation of 1.5% = 9.5%.

I am confused as I have never seen a return with inflation included. The passage does not seem to explicity suggest they are after a nominal return. Is this answer correct?

I always thought the answer was always just the discount rate, and inflation was included within that number.

Can someone please confirm?

Are the pension payments indexed to inflation?

Hi S2000,

I have misread - it was not inflation of 1.5% that was added.

There is a sentence which says:

In an effort to restore the plan’s surplus, the trustees wish to pursue a return 150bps above the actuary discount rate.

Presumably this is what was added. I think its a strange question and confusing - as usually when we are in underfunded we do not take on more risk to increase the funded status of the plan.

It would have been nicer if their excess return target were a number slightly different from inflation.

S2000, if the board ask for an excess return target above discount rate would that become the Return requirement?

Yes.

I was under the impression that the return requirement was just the discount rate of the liabilities; and if they wanted anything in excess of that, that would be the return objective?

So, if the plan is underfunded the objective is . . . to remain underfunded?

Okay, makes sense. So if the plan is underfunded the return REQUIREMENT would be higher than the discount rate of liabilities; and they will likely tell us a return that they need to bring it up to fully funded, which we add to the discount rate?

I got confused above, as Rex said typically when a plan is underfunded they don’t take on more risk,