CFA Society Boston 2018 Mock exam (Essay part)

Anyone attended the CFA Society Boston 2018 Mock exam?

I found the essay part extremely difficult and completely different from the other CFA mocks. A lot of question where extremely difficult to understand and the majority of them not related to the vignette but where asking general considerations.

I performed very poorly around 50% considering that with other mocks I am around 64-68% at least.

Would be happy to hear other opinions.

Welcome to the world of third-party questions.

Many third-party providers haven’t quite mastered the art of writing CFA-Institute-like questions.

Rest assured: the real exam will have questions that are easy to understand and that cannot be answered without reading the vignette.

Thanks magician, I thought that since it is written by CFA Boston society it will be very similar to the official mocks… but it was just a waste of time and money…and very good to loose confidence.

I sat this over the weekend - I couldn’t believe how badly the AM section was written!

Hi Tom1020

this is nice to know and reassures me! :slight_smile:

I think that they did really a poor job, considering also that it’s not free…

I was there as well, and feel the same way about the AM exam.

How was the PM portion? I bought the pdf and was thinking about taking it this weekend.

I might substitute a past CFA AM mock to take with the Boston PM because of this feedback.

In my opinion both the essay and PM of boston society are a waste of time (and money). Not only the mock are very bad, but the solutions as well. There are a lot of mistakes. How can you sell a product like this? They should give back the money at least (time is unfortunately not possible…).

What a joke. Classic Boston.

ill probably still take it because I am a mock slut and I do not discriminate based on quality

By the way, do you expect we should be able to calculate dispersion and convexity of a portfolio?

Just sat the Boston in a test centre in Australia and found it very tough. Scored 55% on both AM and PM. Feeling a bit deflated as with 2 weeks to go I thought I knew my stuff. I’m used to scoring 70% on AM past papers and Schweser mocks, and 75+ on PM. Glad to hear others also thought it was poor. Will give it a quick review but not going to worry about it too much. Just get back to practising institute material.