stopwatch

can i bring a small stop watch? not going to be an issue constantly tapping it for every question?

Currently im practicing AM with my phones stop watch and it really helps knowing how l sooner or later i did each question in. Obv cant bring my phone to the exam.

Any other recommendation or method?

1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi, . . .

lmao

Last year for L3 I borrowed a friend’s digital watch and it SAVED me. I used it like a stop watch. At the beginning of each session, I went through and looked at the points allocated to each question, wince that’s supposed to be the amount of time you spend on a question. Then I subtracted 1-2 minutes and wrote down the time I should be finished with each question. This way I build out some extra time, and avoided going over time for the earlier questions and having to scramble later on. I believe Nathan Ronan, who was teaching L3 for NYSSA at the time, gave this tip.

In 1 video they recommend adding the # of minutes to the current time and writing it down for each question. Once you reach that time, if you haven’t finished just move on. The goal is to score as many points as possible so can’t waste time. At the end if you have additional time go back and review anything that might be incomplete.

Agreed. That’s what IFT instructor advises too. putting the time beside the question. But isnt that even going to take 2 mins out because of calculating for all questions and writing them down?

I want to avoid that by just bringing in a stop watch. keep tapping it for each question. Are stop watches allowed?

Thanks for the useful feedback

info@cfainstitute.org

Yup. just emailed them. Lets see what they say.

Thanks

You’re quite welcome.

I’m keen to know their answer.

Its 12:15 and question is worth 22 mins then add 15 + 22. you should be done by 12:37. its 1:50 and question is worth 18 mins then add 50 + 18 then subtract 60 you should be done by 2:08. I do it right on my calc, takes all of 5 seconds each time.

yea worse case, that’s what it’ll come down to

Get a classy chronograph watch ;-).

yeaaaaa ehhhhh