Sign up  |  Log in

Cashflow Risk vs Market Risk Vs Price Rks (Swaps)

Can someone please explain how these increase or decrease in swaps?

If I am PAY FIXED, RECEIVE FLOAT

I understand that the cashflow risk falls, as I have a fixed payment

But what happens to market risk and price risk? 

.....woof

Available Live or Online, our classes are taught by CFA® charterholders that have a history of helping candidates pass. Take your studies seriously with a live class from Schweser.

Market risk increases

Price risk - I am unsure. 

As for the explanation, even I’d like to know. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BenjaminGraham wrote:

Market risk increases

Price risk - I am unsure. 

As for the explanation, even I’d like to know. 

Right. 

Jahid Hassan

Pay Fix has a higher duration than floating, so the market value is more subject to changes in interest rates (like the price of bonds). –> increased market risk

what do you mean with price risk?

It all depends on the rest of your portfolio.

Seriously.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

taytus wrote:

Pay Fix has a higher duration than floating, so the market value is more subject to changes in interest rates (like the price of bonds). –> increased market risk

what do you mean with price risk?

It was from a BPP mock exam - it used price risk.

So, Pay fixed = low cash flow risk but HIGHER market value risk? I can so see this as an MCQ I just want to make sure I have it nailed on. 

.....woof

rexthedog wrote:
taytus wrote:
Pay Fix has a higher duration than floating, so the market value is more subject to changes in interest rates (like the price of bonds). –> increased market risk

what do you mean with price risk?

It was from a BPP mock exam - it used price risk.

So, Pay fixed = low cash flow risk but HIGHER market value risk? I can so see this as an MCQ I just want to make sure I have it nailed on.

Pay fixed / receive floating and pay floating / receive fixed, by themselves, have exactly the same cash flow risk as each other and exactly the same market value risk as each other.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

The curriculum does mention that with using a paying fixed receive floating to hedge a current floating obligation you lower your cash flow risk (can budget for the payments) but it increases your market value risk (interest rate changes). Replacing a fixed obligation with a received fixed pay floating lowers your market value risk but increases your cash flow risk (can’t budget for the payment). I think this might be what magician is getting at

Don't forget to carry the one.

PreDRaR66 wrote:
The curriculum does mention that with using a paying fixed receive floating to hedge a current floating obligation you lower your cash flow risk (can budget for the payments) but it increases your market value risk (interest rate changes). Replacing a fixed obligation with a received fixed pay floating lowers your market value risk but increases your cash flow risk (can’t budget for the payment).

Aha!

PreDRaR66 wrote:
I think this might be what magician is getting at

It might just be:

S2000magician wrote:
It all depends on the rest of your portfolio.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

price risk should be equal to market value risk?

because floater’s price should be always near par value while fixed instruments’ price will be the one to fluctuate when yield changes.