Asset Allocation for DB Plan, based on components of plan liabilities

I have seen 2 AM questions on this: CFA 2012 AM #6(e) and Kaplan Schweser Exam 6 AM #8(a) and (b). I don’t see this material covered in the Schweser books though.

It looks like there are typically 5 DB Plan liability components given:

• Current retirees

• Deferred retirees

• Active accrued

• Future wage inflation

• Future wage growth

The available asset classes are Equity, Real Rate Bonds, Nominal Bonds.

It appears to me that:

1. For current retirees, deferred retirees, and active accrued, use 100% nominal bonds if payouts are not inflation-indexed. Use 100% real rate bonds if payouts are inflation-indexed.

2. For future wage inflation, use 100% real rate bonds by default. If the case tells you the correlation with CPI, then use that as the % of real rate bonds and use nominal bonds for the rest. For instance, on Schweser Exam 6, #8, the case says future wage inflation is 60% correlated with CPI. The answer says to therefore use 60% real rate bonds, 40% nominal bonds.

3. For future wage growth, use 100% equities by default. If the case gives you the correlation with equities, then use that as the % of equities, and use nominal bonds for the rest. On the Schweser question, the case says future wage growth is 75% correlated with equities. The answer says to use 75% equities, 25% nominal bonds.

Is this the correct thinking?

For 2012 AM Question 6 - D and E are not relevant according to IFT

Yeah, but it is included in the current Schweser Mocks. I think your summary meets it well, checked with the Schweser answer and this is how I would approach this. My mistake when doing the mock was getting the deferred retirees and active accrued right.

Once you know how to do it, it is no rocket science

by deferred retierees, you mean people who took early retirement but are still not eligible for pension, right?