Sign up  |  Log in

POST EXAM: How do you think you did on am and pm?

Anyone else have a couple areas on the PM where they had a lot of “a’s”, “b’s”, or “c’s” in a row? 

Kaplan Schweser has information on the program and your career potential as a CFA® charterholder.

Secyh62 wrote:

First off I thought the exam was very fair both morning and afternoon. I tend to disagree with everyone that suggests there are “twists” or “tricks”. It only seems that way if you don’t truly know the material. When you truly know it, the answers are obvious right away in most cases. That said, I put the least amount of time into this level compared to the other 3, probably 180 hours total.

There were some things that I chose not to memorize because I felt they were more obscure and wouldn’t be asked. Of course, AM section, two of those items were on there. I immediately recognized the words but there was nothing connected to them in my memory bank lol. For those two sub-items, I wrote out the work for them and answered them, but might as well have been 0’s if not for some luck or partial credit, not huge points wise though. The problem with the AM for me was that I wrote for almost 3 hours straight and didn’t have time to review my answers with the exception of one of the two I did not really know, so I have very little feel for how I did. In practice, the written for me was always stronger than the PM, very little subjectivity as to if I got points or not on the mocks. Given that I have no true feel for how the real thing went though, its tough to estimate a score here. My worst mock written was a 63.3%, and that was the first time I had looked at or attempted any written material. So I will assume my floor is a 60%.

PM was a breeze, I ripped through the PM in an hour and a half and went through the entire test twice. Maybe 3 questions that I didn’t feel like I knew well. I felt good about my ethics, and I always scored very well in ethics practice for all three levels, but you never know and ethics was my weakest on 1 and 2 actual results. Assume absolute worst case 8 wrong here (don’t think it was truly that bad and I was comfortable with my answers however). Then if you assume maybe another 5 that I thought I knew 100% but didn’t just to be safe. If I got lucky on one of the 3 I didn’t know 100%, assume worst case on ethics, plus another 5: 46/60 > 76.6%. 

Combined that would put me at a 68% if we’re assuming the worst on ethics and the AM. Is that enough to pass? Maybe/Probably, but would I be shocked to have to take this again? No. I will say though that if I had to take this a second time I would pass no question. I walked in pretty confident after the mock results, but after the morning I was talking to god, then after the pm I felt like I had a shot. I reflected the least on this level driving home compared to the other 2, I’m just all set with this whole program. What a miserable use of time over these past couple years. I already have the job I desired from initially embarking on the journey, so at this point I just am doing it because my coworkers have it.

May be the tricks were thinking that there were no tricks, lol! I know that’s what I was thinking…surely this can’t be!!!

BFostvedt wrote:

Anyone else have a couple areas on the PM where they had a lot of “a’s”, “b’s”, or “c’s” in a row? 

Yep….that made me soooo nervous!

BFostvedt wrote:

Anyone else have a couple areas on the PM where they had a lot of “a’s”, “b’s”, or “c’s” in a row? 

There are many columns, but I remember a middle column that have this pattern: C C C B A  B B B B B  (5 times in consecutive)

I repeat: CFA is the abbreviation of my last name!

BFostvedt wrote:

Anyone else have a couple areas on the PM where they had a lot of “a’s”, “b’s”, or “c’s” in a row? 

for sure

PierreCFA wrote:

BFostvedt wrote:

Anyone else have a couple areas on the PM where they had a lot of “a’s”, “b’s”, or “c’s” in a row? 

There are many rows, but I remember a middle row that have this pattern: C C C B A  B B B B B  (5 times in consecutive)

rows or columns??

Margin_Call wrote:

PierreCFA wrote:

BFostvedt wrote:

Anyone else have a couple areas on the PM where they had a lot of “a’s”, “b’s”, or “c’s” in a row? 

There are many rows, but I remember a middle row that have this pattern: C C C B A  B B B B B  (5 times in consecutive)

rows or columns??

Sorry, column

I repeat: CFA is the abbreviation of my last name!

yea i had that towards the middle left but def had a column with consecutive c’s towards the middle right. i stopped and looked at it said to myself that this will be brought up in the forums for sure lol

Obviously, if you pass with barely 180 hours in total, this is as close as I come to meet with Albert Einstein :-) lol. If you can average 68%, why not 70. Please come back after the result and let us know. By the way, have you took this level before? you talked about  ” the other 3”. I am assuming you had failed one test. Then, again even a repeat offender cannot survive with only 300 hours.

Band is 10 is ridiculously SUCKS

Obviously, if you pass with barely 180 hours in total, this is as close as I come to meet with Albert Einstein :-) lol. If you can average 68%, why not 70. Please come back after the result and let us know. By the way, have you took this level before? you talked about  ” the other 3”. I am assuming you had failed one test. Then, again even a repeat offender cannot survive with only 300 hours.

Band is 10 is ridiculously SUCKS

@financialstudent

Yeah I got done with PM and looked over my score sheet and thought to myself WTF? 

PierreCFA wrote:

BFostvedt wrote:

Anyone else have a couple areas on the PM where they had a lot of “a’s”, “b’s”, or “c’s” in a row? 

There are many columns, but I remember a middle column that have this pattern: C C C B A  B B B B B  (5 times in consecutive)

All right, this makes me feel somewhat better. Definitely saw a lot of same letters. Unfortunately I can’t remember if it was A’s or B’s? I definitely remember a lot of C’s lol

bazz

tibwa wrote:

Obviously, if you pass with barely 180 hours in total, this is as close as I come to meet with Albert Einstein :-) lol. If you can average 68%, why not 70. Please come back after the result and let us know. By the way, have you took this level before? you talked about  ” the other 3”. I am assuming you had failed one test. Then, again even a repeat offender cannot survive with only 300 hours.

Took level 2 twice. Probably put in ~350 for level 1, was the December exam and went straight into level 2 the following June. You don’t get the December result until almost Feb so I probably put in ~200 or so for the first try, probably about 300 for the second. This was my first go at level 3, it was more so a lack of motivation than thinking I had the material down with less time needed. The material was much less stimulating and I didn’t feel like I was getting anything out of it that was value additive, whereas I thought the first two levels had much more relevance. I will say however, that I felt as prepared for this exam as I have for the other times where I had passed, a lot of the material is overlapping and there is physically less volume page wise. I assume that also played into the 180, laziness + lack of motivation + less volume = 180 

AM is harder than expected. PM is OK. 

Some of the questions in AM is not as straightforward as prior years. Have to skip around 20 points… Finished PM in less than 2 hours. Ethic questions are designed to be tricky. Hope to get 70%+ in the PM, 60%+ in the AM. 

AM is HARDER than prior years (at least for the years that I practiced 09 through 2017). Overall, the questions are less confusing than the MOCK exam. 

Chance to pass and fail 50/50…

If I did not pass, I will spend much more time on reading through the CFAI materials rather than rely on Willey materials… 

Good Luck to all of us!! Now ENJOY the summer. 

I like Darren miller but the guy for fixed income and asset allocation were not as well. 

No one beats Peter olinto though

For me AM was very difficult and PM was okay. I finished PM on time but couldn’t finish AM. I left one full question blank. The comments like AM was easy and PM was much harder make me feel if CFAI had two versions of level 3 papers :)

Love Darren Miller, too. Willey material is not bad, just the Fixed Income part, the video lectures are too short. And the practice questions for LEVEL III are not well written. 

CFAI materials and CFAI sources are SUFFICIENT, no need to spend extra money on review course. 

sp03673 wrote:

For me AM was very difficult and PM was okay. I finished PM on time but couldn’t finish AM. I left one full question blank. The comments like AM was easy and PM was much harder make me feel if CFAI had two versions of level 3 papers :)

I feel like you’re right. PM questions had all these twists in scenarios that I did not practice and had to adjust to. AM was pretty straight forward. I remember in PM knowing exactly the answer but within the vig another event/situation was going on that just added to the question. I just remember nodding my head every time I read that extra detail of information on some questions and being like “WTF”.

I thought AM was tricky and not difficult. I was completely on time till I was going sequentially and in order for about 2 hours. However, once I changed the order after that I got badly trapped. Probably the next few questions that followed weren’t my strongest areas and I was trying to skim through a couple of them to score full marks in the sub sections. The strategy was probably bad! Had done all actual papers from 2010 but this was different definitely. 

Can’t get the terror of AM out of my head even after 2 full days.

PM was some solace though! 

With all due respect, what did you expect from only studying two months? LIII AM is the most difficult part in all of the exams. I put in seven months and wrote six notebooks full of practice for AM. I get your point that it is six textbooks and they can test you from any part of the curriculum but putting in only two months of work I find it difficult to reasonably expect anything else. I am glad they make it hard to earn the Charter. They shouldn’t hand it out like participation trophies.

No days off. No excuses. No distractions.

Haha yep. A’s were early and the B’s in the middle or end, can’t remember. Also had a stretch of BCBCB

The AM session for me was on the expected lines. Five of my colleagues who are CFA charterholders had warned me that given the stress and the usual intent to perhaps throw up all we know of a topic, missing out of 1-2 questions is a most likely event. 

So, i changed my approach and took first 10 minutes to glance through the whole paper to mark the specific areas where i was confident.

I could find 8 questions wherein i maxed out my answers quality both in terms of content as well as handwriting supplementing my answers with equations where necessary focussing on command words and so on. I was left with 25 minutes and 2 questions unanswered which did panic me by the end. Therefore, i ended up with 3 sub-parts of a question unanswered. So, while there was a disappointment, there was also a relief that i had attempted 80% of the paper to the best of my ability. Based on my past AM papers score analysis, i have had 65-70% accuracy on attempted questions. I believe 50-55% in AM looks pretty achievable for me and i confess i had not built in better than 60% in AM.

Coming to the PM session, apart from 5-6 questions (3-4 ethics and a couple more questions from other section), the paper seemed much easier than the Institute mocks. Even building in some errors due to the so called tricky questions, i believe 75+% seem gettable.

Gut says it might be just enough but lets see…

PS: I had created the user id to motivate myself to complete all three levels in least possible time but alas it wasn’t meant to be (courtesy the shifting of exams to June end vs. beginning earlier). I would rather be termed as Target~19months now cheeky

Had several A’s in the first two vignettes of PM. Remember another string of B’s later on but I don’t think ever had more than 4 in a row of anything. 

Thought AM was alright, definitely difficult and probably more so than the mocks I had completed. First section was a struggle and couldn’t figure out one of the calculations in a middle section. I know I got a 5 point question wrong on the first section, but should be awarded 2/5 there. I debated that section for a long while, unfortunately went the wrong direction.

PM went better, first half was tough then got into cruise control on the second half. Finished in 90 minutes and then took the exam again to review answers. I think I changed 4 answers, 2 for sure from wrong to right and the other 2 I think I caught the CFA traps but who knows. Hoping for a 55-60 AM and 65-70 PM

I had a lot of two letter repeats, AA, BB, CC, until the last part part there was a string of about 5 C’s.

After both L1 and L2, I told myself “So, the actual exams are easier.” Not after L3.

I did the actual AM papers from 2015-2017 and reviewed 2014 AM, but this year’s AM gave me this unfamiliar feeling and I agree that maybe we had a new team of question writers this year. Thankfully I managed to finish the paper but I had to write non-stop and my palm was sweating like hell and even soaked the exam paper a bit. That never happened to me during the mocks.

PM definitely had its share of tricky questions but was fair overall. Again, I didn’t find many questions that looked similar from the online test bank.

So I think it really comes down to how well I have mastered/learned the material.

LOL read on another forum that Boston was an absolute ****show (no pun intended) with people getting stuck in the bathroom, test started way late, multiple people getting kicked out bc of bathroom line and apparently someone even got arrested? 

It’s funny that things seem to come down in a similar fashion for me. Let’s hope we did enough to mitigate those misses in those 2 questions. I really feel I did enough to get me over the bump given the fact I failed last year with a band 10….

Band is 10 is ridiculously SUCKS

geoffk wrote:
my handwriting was horrible - almost illegible. do graders dock you for really messy handwriting?

The graders are all retired pharmacists; they can read anything.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

I took it in Boston.  The bathroom line was a s-show and a few people did get written up (well, at least the main proctor told someone to write them up, I don’t know if they actually did it) but no one got arrested, to my knowledge at least.  There were probably 2-3 thousand people in a giant room (at least 2/3 male I’d guess) and there were only 2 mens rooms, one each at opposite ends of the room, each with 2 urinals and 2 stalls.  The head proctor called for people to get back to their seats at around 8:40 but most people (myself included) didn’t leave the line.  Eventually they let the men still waiting use the ladies room since it was empty.  Logistically, it was an absolute mess.  Getting in and out during breaks was a nightmare and after the afternoon session we couldn’t even go out through the same entrance we came in through (where the personal belongings room was) because of a private event.