Sign up  |  Log in

CFA L3 MPS 2018

I read an article about last year band 10 result in the new reporting format. AM top 10% is not even at 70% and PM average is over 70%. Based on the aurthors estimation band 10 last year is about 58% so I guess MPS is about 60% and this year maybe slightly lower.

Kaplan Schweser has information on the program and your career potential as a CFA® charterholder.

I failed last year band 10 and there is no way the I would score below 61% or above 64.5%

my best guess is the MPS around 63-65%

Did you use the new format of the result report to calculate your score range? That would give you much more accuracy 

hang123 wrote:

I failed last year band 10 and there is no way the I would score below 61% or above 64.5%

my best guess is the MPS around 63-65%

62-63%

Nenorr wrote:

If one knows the material, all questions were pretty doable and fair. If you learned to do certain calculations by heart without understanding their logic, and they thew you off with another type of calculation that you didn’t learn at all, then that’s something different.  

EXACTLY. I think too many people lose sight of the fact that the whole point of the exam is to test your knowledge of the curriculum, not to test whether you can memorize past exam questions. 

It was for the 2016 exam, the tell was one box vs two box.

One box was whether you could apply for a scholarship: i.e. Fail.

Two box was first you apply a scholarship, then the second box was saying that you were ineligible for a scholarship: i.e. Pass.

It sent the forum paranoia into overdrive and I personally believe it to be true and logically it made sense, and given the result evidence, it turned out to be true. For the record, when I sat it in 2016, I got a one box, and I knew I had failed. Sure enough I got a Band 9 that year.

https://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-iii-forum/91353300

So when can we check for these boxes??

arbguy wrote:

So when can we check for these boxes??

im staying as far away from this stuff this year i can. just provides anxiety and stress.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

^ voice of reason

1Team1Dream wrote:
^ voice of reason

Sometimes sheer terror mimics pure reason.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

S2000magician wrote:

1Team1Dream wrote:
^ voice of reason

Sometimes sheer terror mimics pure reason.

Are they not the same :) 

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

I compiled several Band 10 fails and near passes from 2013-17 to take a stab at what the MPS might be. Can say with reasonable confidence that the MPS wasn’t above 230 (63.9%) for any year and tends to fall in the 210-225 range (58.3%-62.5%). 

VWJETTY wrote:

S2000magician wrote:

1Team1Dream wrote:
^ voice of reason

Sometimes sheer terror mimics pure reason.

Are they not the same :) 

Fear is wisdom in the face of danger. :)

RickBankiel wrote:

I compiled several Band 10 fails and near passes from 2013-17 to take a stab at what the MPS might be. Can say with reasonable confidence that the MPS wasn’t above 230 (63.9%) for any year and tends to fall in the 210-225 range (58.3%-62.5%). 

According to 300hrs my passing score in 2017 was 60.3%. I was scoring low-mid 70s consistently on Schweser mocks.

53%

For the 2017 exam, with a lot of analysis, I got between 58.5 and 62 as the MPS.  Most likely near the bottom of that range.

MunicipalBob wrote:

For the 2017 exam, with a lot of analysis, I got between 58.5 and 62 as the MPS.  Most likely near the bottom of that range.

How did you perform your analysis ?