Self Attribution Bias

Wondering how to deal with your boss who is suffering from extreme Self-Attribution bias (which is practically my scenario in my company) because whatever we do, boss always take the credit of success and assign responsibility of failures to cut bonuses and salary raise.

Find a new boss.

Yes! Counter with Boss retribution bias…

I would assess the power of that “boss” in the company: his contacts, his friendships, his professional abilities, technical knowledge, past success (before you), stalk a little bit his Linkedin account for certifications and past experiences, how good he behaves with peer bosses, etc.

If the results goes by the side of “This guy is an awesome professional but a douche”, then I would try to overcome my feelings and try to learn from his professional experience and once I gather enough, I leave.

If the results goes by the side of “This guy is pure shet and he is there because the conjuncture” I would talk seriously with his direct boss or even higher, HR would work too. This kind of relation cuts the good creativity and disincentives the whole team. In this case I advise to go for it all, keep in mind you are going to destroy that little basterd and you are not going back, even if you see your opportunities of a rise or a promotion to go down in the short term. The speech is How his bad behaviors affect the value of the company more than your own feelings or team’s.