Failed

Hey Guys,

Results did not come out well and to be honest I expected this. Feels bad though as I have not failed or done poorly in a very very long time.

My question is should I write next year or take a break? Some change in circumstances:

1. Got married this year (after CFA exam) so want to spend time with wife next year once she comes here through spousal sponsorship.

2. Job is a bit stressful compared to when I wrote levels 1 and 2 so weekday evenings are very tough to study. Ties in with point 1 when wife comes (can I manage both things…)

3. I am a CPA, so CFA is an add-on, but not required at my current job (FP&A)

Just wanted to get some advice from you all and what you would do if you were in my position?

Thanks!

I really suggest giving it a try again next year. I’m sure you spent money and time on this test and it is the best to prepare for it while you still have some knowledge in the memory. Life may be stressful next year, but who knows if it is going to be even more stressful after the break. However, it is you who really need to make up your mind. Good luck with everything.

Yeah do not let it slip. I dis the same thing at level 2 and only came back to it after 10 years. Push for the final mile, esp. if you are a narrow fail.

Trust me when I say, get it done before you start having kids (if that’s something you’re planning). If you can’t study during the week because of your job, if you have kids there’s no way you’ll want to miss time with them on weekends to spend all your time at a library.

Give it another try. I failed last year after clearing Levels I and II in Dec and June. I was so angry, depressed, and devastated that I didn’t not want to try again - but I did, and I passed. I’d really recommend doing it the sooner the better, as curriculum changes are not material and you still have a basis to build upon. Good luck!!!

I took a break and paid for it. But I finally passed this year. I would suggest you took next year before you start having kids. You will have plenty of time to enjoy your wife as long as you start early.

Thanks guys for the suggestion and advice. I think it makes sense to start early and give it a shot this year. Wife will understand and is fully supportive and as you guys mentioned life can be even more busy/stressful year after.

I would skip a year or more.

When you are a newlywed, it’s worth pleasuring with your significant one rather than drilling the curriculum. My wife told me that during the preparation months I was looking like a husband who was coming home from work and got into a newspaper right from the door. She was pretty discouraged with such a lack of interest.

I would take it next year. As other chaps are saying, life gets busier as time goes by and I think our mind is more fit to cope with books when you are younger. You will start from a solid base from this year, so capitalise on it and smash it next year!!

I was married last year. Wife and I talked it out prior to, and she fully supported me sitting. It was not easy on either one of us, and we grew apart some, however now that it is over with, we are both very happy with the decision. As someone pointed out, life will only become more complicated as you grow older; my suggestion is do it now.