70% on Item Set, and less than 20% on Essay?

Hi AFers,

Please advise if I should consider a requesting for a retabulation of my exam score.

I scored almost 70% in the Afternoon Item set, but only managed to score less than 20% in the Morning session, having finished all the questions in the Morning session, which is unbelievable! The result is just shocking, giving my preparation for the exam and supposed good outing on the D-day.

Please share your thoughts on this.

#ByTheNuts

Hi Brainy,

I read somewhere that they never look at the essay portion in a retab, if you ask for a retab they would only make sure of your afternoon set and that the machine got your circles right. Not sure how accurate that is, but it’s worth looking into before paying the $100.

Did he died?

I hear somewhere that the mornign part is corrected independently twice.

So very little chance of having a change to your morning results.

Same what I read somewhere on the CFAI site sometime. Morning sessions is marked by two graders to moderate personal “grading style” (which happens inevitably with a essay based exam) of the grader. So very little chance to get a different opinion from a third grader

Hi Brainy,

The morning session was tricky because only certain words will receive points. We need to distinguish between “what you think is correct answer” and the real correct answer. Have you practiced past 10 yrs AM exam? How are you doing on those? Are they significantly diff from 20%?

I have a friend who got band 1 on the 1st attempt and passed on the 2nd attempt. What happened was that she wasn’t using the correct material(she thought she was) and she thinks she nailed all the points on her study material but she wasn’t getting what was really tested. She told me she answered ALL morning questions and the answer sheet was full of writing. But what she realized on the 2nd attempt was that only certain words will receive points.

You see what I mean? If you tested yourself on the past 10 yrs morning session exam and your score is significantly diff than 20%, I would pay this $100. Otherwise, I would not.

Same boat there. I scored almost 70% on PM but just 4X% on AM. I think it’s no longer about what we dont know. It’s about how we answer the damn questions with correct and strong key words. Sometimes I thought I can get full mark but perhaps based on the CFA criteria, it may be just half of the marks. Perhaps your answer is not totally wrong but just not CFA wants to see. Studying more hours do not help. Just take some courses to learn how to answer questions. I will do it for the next year. I dont think I will pass it by studying more while using the same strategy next year.