anyone over 50 passing level 3?

Hi

I was wondering whether there are others like me passing level 3?

i am 67 years old…CFA journey started at level l (12/2016) and ended this week with this pass! (hooray!!!..the process has really aged me(lol)

any others 50 or over passing level 3 this year? please chime in!

ron Z.

Amazing Job! Can I ask why tackle the CFA at age which most will or are retired? Was it a personal thing ? I am quite impressed not just because you did it and (no offense) but later (ending) stage in career but to go 3/3 … you are my new hero…

What do you mean…i am still a youngster…It was a good challenge…I will use info for my own investing make $$$ and positions me better for board of director positions. Thanks for asking and i appreciate the kind words…good luck to you!

What year did you graduate from high school?

#curious

high school 1969

Do you find CFA knowledge helpful in your investing process? If yes, which part of knowledge do you find most useful?

Thank you! Very impressive.

For me investing in equities is my main passion…broader and deeper valuation metrics using dcf and relative valuation methodologies to find hidden value, listening to management calls and accessing credibly etc…may also find value on short side etc etc.etc…don’t getme going(lol)

Sadly, I am 50 and am signing up for Level III again. Therefore, I will be 51 when I pass.

This is my bucket list thing. I did valuation work early in my career and many weren’t able to get the charter. I plan to see it through after a long hiatus.

BTW, it is a tough process. Do you think the intellectual stimulation outweighs the beatdown and stress for 900+ hours of studying? I guess it’s good in the long run.

this is truly awesome. and i don’t say “awesome”. ever.

Hat is off to you gentlemen! Carry on and presevere! And study from the curriculum, you won’t be disappointed.

I admire you commitment. Good for you…at 50 you still have a long term time horizon!!!

49 and I’ve finally finished.

Reading this makes me feel like I’m not as much an outlier!

When I sat the exam in London it felt as though quite a few people around me were in the over 40 category. Not sure if this is due to low (as in issued years ago) candidate numbers?

Zollaron, many congratulations on a fantastic achievement and persevering when most people are looking to retire. What an amazing story!

Also impressive NeverQuit and NoSurrender!

Thank You! learning this stuff is challenging and fun…can be rewarding as well on many levels!

good luck to you!

I don’t think being over 50 and receiving your charter is a big deal. I am 57. Passed L3 and received my Charter this year.

I don’t expect to retire for a long time assuming I maintain my health. The value I get from the charter in my current role is immediate. Helps me extend my career for a long time to come.

I’m in my mid 30’s I attempted L 1 several times 13 years ago.

I attempted again L1 in 2017 with total 30 days studying and I passed.

Spent more hours in L2 around 450 hours and I passed from first attempt (approximately 90th percentile) .

I feel that my investment banking experience really helped . In addition to the skills I gained through out the years working such as reading fast, familiarity with concepts and the vocabulary, better planner, maturity, and commitment.

My keto diet helped as well. Felt my brain was on steroid ( it enhanced my cognitive function and provided me with focus).

I took my first level 1 in Dec 2016, and I just passed level 3 in June 2018. I will turn 50 next month. I told myself I would clear all 3 levels before I turn 50, and I did it !

Hey Ron, congrats on passing L3 at 67! I’m right behind you at 64, failed L3 this year, but will give another go. After reading your post, I can’t blame my age on not passing!

I’m retired from Silicon Valley, and have a MBA-Chicago, and started CFA as continuing education to help with my advisory work with startups (also have a CPA) and personal investing.

Curious, what was your approach to tackling this beast?

Tim

1. Passed all levels on first attempt (L3 two days ago).

I got L1 exam in Dec 2016 and was bit too early to exam venue. The organizers offered me.an orange vest thinking I was a proctor :slightly_smiling_face:

Glad to see I am not alone in 50+ club…