Why L3 Re-Takers should go with LevelUp?

DISCLAIMER: I am not a paid reviewer.

I don’t normally review products online because most reviews are faked and made up. I am a life long test takers ( TOEFL, GMAT, GRE, CPA, CTP and CFA). Therefore, I have an idea what a good study material is.

I started my CFA journey awhile ago. Completing L1 and L2 with Schweser but failed L3 twice using their materials. I am not saying they are not okay since I have friends who passed using them only (maybe it is because I have 3 kids and a full time Job; therefore, I need a babysitter to watch over me)

I discovered that good babysitter last year on this forum after seating and glaring my failed band 10 test score screen. I had never heard about LevelUp before but after reviewing some of your comments (particularly from those who have a lot of AF points, I made the decision to re-register and sign up with LevelUp.

By August 15, I had already started with the Videos. Here is why I think Marc’s method is a good one:

1. He forces you to use CFAI books, which can be very daunting given the size of the materials. But he pretty much goes page by page but he keeps it interesting along the way.

2. Marc forces you to focus on Blue Boxes, relevant ECQ ( not all of them are good).

3. Marc forces you to review important “White Texts” that you would normally overlook or forget as you progress with your study.

4. He forces you to practice relevant pass questions ( no substitute for those).

5. He is available to answer your questions as needed.

Now, it is my personal view re-takers will get the most with Marc because he completely change your prospective how to study for the Exams after failing it. I also believe his Bootcamp alone cannot help you pass if you have not gone over the materials by yourself.

This is why I recommend his Videos first and then join one of his Bootcamp. His Bootcamp is good for 3 things:

1. You realize that you are not alone in your struggle because most of the people there are re-takers.

2. He teaches you how to attach the IPS without fear ( I never know there was a standard approach to the IPS questions). YES, he

gets the IPS science down like a pro.

1. Finally, you learn how to get simple point you have been missing because you don’t know what the graders are looking for when they reviewing you Essays.

As far I am concerned, I am not going to take any tests or certifications for no man no more. For all I know is that you know your shi***t and I know my crap. As a life long learner, I will continue to read to keep me up to date and practice what I know and work.

Conclusion:

I recommend LevelUp with Marc- assuming you want to get down and muddy yourself. Start early, review often, practice and practice often. Good luck and I rest my case.

Disclaimer: I used LevelUp in 2018 and failed.

Regarding LevelUp:

• start early. The curriculum is ~2000 pages so it will take you ~200 hours to read it (3.5 months @ 2h a day). You do not want to be like me and have to study again next year… huge waste of time and money.

• the videos are pretty comprehensive and long. I was watching them during lunch time and it took me over 2 months

• you want to be ready (and I mean ready) by the time you go for the bootcamp. I did the late bootcamp, and it was hard to do all the questions and review after that…

• review the slide book more often. The slides are very good and easy to use.

• it is pretty expensive. I paid over 3k total between the review package, food, flights and hotel. Other providers are 50% of the price…

Other thoughts:

• I know a few people that did videos/bootcamp combo and failed. It is NOT a magical package that will guarantee you a pass (even though is feels this way based on this forum)

• Schweser is not that bad… 3 of my coworkers did Schweser and passed. The readings are substantially shorter so they had more time to practice CFA questions (EOC, Blueboxes, question bank and old exams). One person did a weekly class package, but the other used old 2017 notes only…

• You have to practice and review. All my coworkers went over questions/answers multiple times.

• this exam is pretty hard and you have to put in the work. some people get lucky and barely cross the MPS line, but to be confident you have to log in those hours and practice.

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t pass. Level Up gives you the tools but you have to use them and yes, you have to go through the readings and EOCs before the bootcamp and old exam questions after the bootcamp. You have to go over blueboxes,white text examples,and old exams over and over again, until you are sick of them. The online topic tests are also a must. There are never any magical packages just a lot of work. You will get it done next year!

I couldn’t agree more, Level Up is so legit. And absolutely not a guarantee. We all know where this exam ranks in difficulty just look up the top 10 hardest exams in the world. It’s not at the bottom of that list either. But it’s very possible. Starting early is probably the best advice given here. There is just too much to cover , and you need to drill in and master the concepts especially the areas traditionally weighted more heavily.

I started in mid January and this was my second go after going with Schweser. I was burned out and definitely a little bitter towards the entire thing and had a hard time starting, in fact I almost didn’t do it at all until I came across Marc’s program seeing so many recommendations for his boot camp here I went for it and that got me motivated . He’s a very lively person and kept things very interesting for me. But I would suggest starting earlier than I did . He’s going to teach you how properly and quickly get through essay questions this is so huge.

I second the first comment of not generally recommending anything or anyone but I personally feel I owe this to Marc and all of you. Finally, at the end of the boot camp he will tell you what you need to do from then on and it is hard core. I don’t think most people do it , it is a lot. My point is this guy will be putting you through Level 3 Basic and Advanced Individual training like the Army and help make you into the test smashing soldier you need to be to get through this thing.

I concurred!

I totally forgot to say CFAI online topics and mocks are a must. I must have done 5 times leading up to the exam. I first complete them in April and keep redoing them every 2 weeks.

I agree completely! While I used Schweser for Level I and II, I was unsuccessful with Schweser on my first two attempts at Level III. Marc helped get me to the finish line. He lays out a plan that works. You’ll never see someone work harder than Marc during the four day bootcamp. Intense. He knows his stuff.

Marc’s bootcamp and videos aren’t cheap, but they are so worth it. I couldn’t have passed level 3 without the LevelUp program. I agree that you have to put in the hard work, but it’s so worth it after receiving the congratulations message. I can’t recommend LevelUp enough.

Agreed.

I think the concept of value is more relevant than price in this instance

Sorry to hear that. Did you have to pay again in 2019? Or was the 2019 contents available for free? Thanks!