Advice to the next generation of L3

Congrats to everyone who passed L2 and is looking to pass L3 next June. Just wanted to pass along some of my knowledge on passing the exam.

First of all, I heard a lot about L2 being much harder than L3 before I started studying L3. I have to admit that early on, readings like behavioral finance and PWM started looking really straightforward. I wasn’t faced with any hard valuations of securities like swaps in L2 or anything like that, so initially, I agreed. What you won’t realize is how much you need to know about every topic now. The AM section doesn’t leave you much room for error, and instead of being prepared to select the answer that you identify as matching something, you’re going to have to deeply understand all topics and be capable of regurgitating them very quickly. So lesson #1 here is to be cognizant of the material and don’t let it lull you to sleep. With two months left for the exam, I decided the L3 was going to be the most challenging for me to pass. Some agree, some don’t, but believe me when I say that you need to have an understanding of paragraphs of information and not just definitions. There will be very limited opportunities to “guess on the answer that looked right”.

Lesson #2 piggy-backs off lesson #1, don’t let the math lull you to sleep. You won’t find yourself having as many multi-step calculations like you did valuing equities, fixed income with optionality, derivatives, etc. from L2. The difference in L3 is that they start looking to trick you by adding twists in the story. Nominal/real/before tax/after tax returns aren’t always the hardest calculations, but I promise you that unless you don’t practice a lot of them, you’re going to miss a ton of points. Understanding the return calculations for individuals and institutions, those calculations come up in basically all of the past AM exams you’ll practice, and I would expect you will need to be prepared to tackle those on your upcoming exam as well. You will really need to get a feel for how to do that in the various ways that are tested. Also remember that when you fat-finger a calculation in the morning and don’t realize it, there aren’t suggested answers there to help you back into the correct answer. You need to know the math inside and out.

Lesson #3 is to finish the readings earlier than you have in L1 and L2. In L1 and L2 I always finished the readings about 4 weeks prior to the exam, then I’d spend about 2 weeks reviewing all of my handwritten notes and creating as many note cards as possible. That left me about 10-14 days to hit mocks and flash my notecards before the test. In L3, you really need to be practicing the morning exams as early as possible. That means I would suggest you get to a “mock only” zone of studying with minimum 4 weeks remaining. You see a lot of candidates in the L3 forums who studied hard, but nonetheless had to leave points blank in the morning. You need to understand the timing of the exam. That can only come with strict practice. What you’ll find on exam day is that the time crunch is even more ominous because you’re stressed. The stress is something that you won’t be able to practice, so you’ll have to be prepared to at least understand what the time should feel like.

Lesson #4 - don’t skip topics. There’s no chance of you passing because you “didn’t have time so you just skipped portfolio management and alternatives because they aren’t heavily weighted” like you might have done in L1 and L2. You need to know all of the material. L3 is less defined by topic, really all of the different topics incorporate each other and are tied together through PM. So don’t skip anything.

Lesson #5 - learn the thousands of advantages/disadvantages of all the strategies, benchmarks, etc. That’s going to take a lot of practice and will be difficult, many of them are going to run together, but seriously memorize them.

I’m sure I missed some key points but there’s the big idea. Good luck to everyone.

I often heard that …Level 2 is easier than Level 3. I think that’s an urban legend. Wait until you realize that candidates that are smart enough to pass Level 2, are failing Level 3 a couple times.

Agreed that L1 < L2 < L3 in terms of difficulty, from my experience. Not as technical as L2, definitely, but performing well on the AM is a skill you’ll need to develop.

To me L2 and L3 have different focuses. L2 is more on technical details of different asset classes while L3 requires the candidates to see the big picture and everything from a portfolio perspective. If you don’t have a sound grasp of L2 materials, I imagine L3 would be hard because you would need to go back to L2.

• Use CFAI materials
  • Practice AM mocks under time pressure
  • Ace the PM section

From other posters, this year’s MPS is around or slightly below 60. You can get by with 60/60 AM/PM, 50/70 AM/PM, 40/80 AM/PM or some other combination. Aim for a high PM score to give yourself a better margin of safety in the AM section.

I will just echo the above, you must know topics inside and out. Aim for breadth AND depth. Hope that helps.

Also make sure to answer all surveys emailed to you by CFAI. All. They are watching.

survey “bump” ?

I think the AM section of Level 3 is the hardest of any of the exam sections in the entire CFA program. However, I also think that the PM section of Level 3 is the easiest exam section in the entire CFA program. So for me it even’d out. I genuinely felt that I needed something special to clear Level 2, so I spent the last few weeks relentlessly focusing on my weakest subjects (I’m looking at you FRA!) even though I was consistently scoring in the high 60s to low 70s on mocks. However, I felt a normal day from me would have been enough to clear Level 3.

So I’d still say Level 2 overall is harder to clear than Level 3, but Level 3 AM is harder than anything you’ve done up to this point.

I would also mention that one of the reasons I didn’t enjoy Level 2 and felt like I needed a very good day to pass was that a significant portion of the exam lends itself to memorization than learning (stupid FRA). Even when I was getting questions on FRA right on the exam, I only knew it was right because I had missed similar questions like 5 times while studying and figured out what CFA wanted. That’s not enjoyable. Level 3 lends itself more to synthesis of ideas, especially in the AM. To me that was more fun. Anyways, just my $0.02.

I think I’m in the minority in that I found L3 to be harder than L2. Granted. I say that as someone fresh off a fail so I am biased.

i totally second your thought … nailed L1 and L2 but with the same approach failed miserable in L3 morning session :S

This was my second round on L3 and although many have already heard this advice, you really should go with Marc LeFebre’s Level Up Boot Camp. I did a Kaplan crash course for L2 and although that was beneficial for L2 it fell short in a major way on L3. This is simply because they don’t teach you how to master the Essays and Marc does. The second difference is Marc teaches straight from the curriculum where every topic that can possibly be covered is in your books. The other providers shrink things down and I was blown away how many things I didn’t see in Kaplan’s books that were in the curriculum not counting newly added material of course. He is hands down the most impressive instructor I’ve ever worked with. If you are going to call your course a boot camp it better be hard core. Well, I thought 4-12 hour days in a row with homework afterwards was about all I could take.

I must have practiced 10-15 of the Essay Exams 5 times a piece. That being said, I still left two subsections blank! Even with all of that practice I still didn’t finish in time, likely for being too precise on certain questions. Marc dedicated a big portion to just making you hit the questions over and over till you are ready to drop but it works unbelievably. All the practice I had the year prior meant nothing compared to what I learned within a few hours,

I am so thankful to have come across Marc’s workshop hearing about it here from other candidates. It’s not cheap but it is so well worth it if of course you are willing to put in the blood, sweat and tears. And it’s an absolute must to do the video instruction before the workshop. Although he offers them separately they are truly a unit together.

Follow this guy and put everything you have into it and you will very likely be a Charter holder next year. By the way his pass rate is incredibly high!

Good luck everyone.

I think the content is easier. No doubt. However, the people that have made it to level 3 have passed the L1 and L2 trimming processes… therefore you are faced with a much more competitive crowd.

I did think that L3 was easier than L2 and easy to pass. So I failed my first attempt of course :slight_smile:

Personally, I found Level 3 to be easier than Level 2. Perhaps I was slightly more prepared (Level 2 I finished the material with couple of days left, Level 3 I finished with around 2 weeks left for mocks/topic tests).

Overall Level 3 for me was the most “enjoyable” in terms of study material. Due to the overlap of information across different chapters, this made it feel easier as well.

I agree that the AM section is the most challenging part. I only did 3 CFAI morning mocks and felt extremely comfortable during them (finishing 15-20 mins early) and scoring decently (65-70). However, on exam day, I felt extremely rushed to the point where after the second question, I was 15 mins behind of schedule and started reading the question, giving my self literally 10-15 secs to thing of an answer and just scribbling away. Luckily I managed to score above 70 in AM.

TLTR, realize that taking the AM in the comfort of your home is a completely different experience than taking it come exam day. For me, this was the most challenging part of Level 3

I think a common mistake on the morning session also is that some candidates try to impress by writing everything and all that they ever heard about the topic in question. But trying to impress by writing long and complicated answers is exactly the wrong way.

Answers should be short (best use bullet points, it is not expected to write complete sentences), easy to understand and right to the point.

It not only saves you time but forces you to focus on what the question really asks for. If I am a grader and I see you needing to write a whole page for a 3-point question that could be answered in 3 bullet points I know that you are insecure about your answer and try to beat around the bush. Doesn’t work!

3 was by far the easiest material of the 3 levels, but the by far the hardest exam of the 3 levels.

Agreed, ideally bullet points are the way to go due to the time management needed, however, it does not hurt in any way to write more than bullet points. I wrote lengthy in AM (hence I was rushed in time) but honestly I felt more comfortable. If you’re used to writing concise bullet points then by all means do it, but keep in mind that writing paragraphs works as well.

My thoughts exactly. Congrats Rex!

I ROGER that approach!

Without a doubt conceptually Level 3 is the easiest but the exam is definitely the hardest. The key to passing is concise bullets for the AM and not neglecting the PM practice! Also, if you have had a bad AM, don’t worry! More often than not, people who screwed up the AM (myself included) are saved by the PM!!

Passed the recent exam 1st time round. In terms of an exam setting found it the most challenging exam, especially for the morning essay segment. I seldom undergo that kind of stress and it’s really only something you will only experience in an actual exam setting. I remember it was literally answering one question after another in a race against time. For the PM exam, it had alot of tricks and only if you have mastered the curriculum would you be able to spot the tricks. I used Schweser study notes for the exam, but I mostly relied on studying the CFAI textbook in my prep. And of course alot of topic tests and past year mocks.

My advice would be study till you are able to explain the concepts easily to anyone, even a layman. Then focus your prep on giving exam answers that are targeted and aligned with what CFA is looking for. I honestly do not think that you need much alternative prep providers. If you are truly passionate about finance and need the knowledge for your work, you probably will find the means to appreciate the curriculum well enough.