Is it worth pursuing it?

The thrill and excitement of passing level 2 is now gone. Time to decide if I want to try level 3 and i wonder if I should go for it.

I am 33 yo, have worked in FP&A in a top asset management company for the last 6 years. I started the CFA for 2 reasons:the main one was to try to get closer to fund management. 2nd one was to develop myself (as it is paid by the company why not, right?). Actually 3 reasons: prove myself that i can do this but with level 1 and 2 done, I do not feel this need anymore.

So far so good but now that I am one level away, i start questioning this certification. First, many fund managers in my company do not have it or seek to have it. Second, I thought it was a golden ticket to fund management positions or to get close to it. But i am hearing more more stories showing the opposite.

So i wonder: if it is not a golden ticket, and if even fund managers do not necessarily have it, why is the purpose of this certification? One more “diploma” to add on a pile of masters, mba, caia etc?

If anyone out there have stories of people moving into fund management after getting the CFA that would be good.

Thanks and good luck to the ones who are taking the leap in this last level.

may have made more sense to research and critique the charter prior to taking levels 1 and 2…

That thought crossed my mind for similar reasons, especially after life got interrupted and I skipped 2017 after taking L1 in 2015 and L2 in 2016. And every time it did, I reminded myself I didn’t come this far to quit now. It may or may not help my career. I trust it will, but at the very least I’m happy I finished what I started. I have a feeling you’ll feel the same way. Good luck.

Hi, didil.

I believe, the charter isn’t a pass into any segment of financial service profession, because to get where you want to be needs lots of experience, a nimble mind and a solid amount of networking. The program is just a bleak copy of a good undergrad education which might be obtained by those who haven’t earned a degree from a top-tier college. In my case I don’t have education at all, so the only way for me is to enroll in the program to gain the three letter mark as a confirmation that I have studied anything whatever.

I am sure you ought to take the level III and capture the charter. The reason is just simple: finish what you have started. You might not need the designation for the rest of your life, but once you decided to go through the program, just do it. The amount of perseverance you demonstrate is valued much higher than the amount of knowledge you have under your belt, because people don’t appreciate those who know all, but those who achieve their goals once declared.

Good luck to you in June, 2019. :wink:

I guess it depends a lot on your situation. I see obtaining the CFA almost as a must, unless you’ve got 1) really solid work experience showing that you can walk the walk 2) a degree from a top-tier business school.