Equity - Points Variance ???

My opinion given the range of scores in equity, there maybe something confusing or multi answers the CFA might have to review. 2013 all over again? Multi answers? Its possible, Im dreaming now, then checking when full exam released.

it was only 6 percent of the exam. I’m guessing that’s what ‘s driving the variance/range of scores.

but you could always look into it and give it a shot.

I placed in the 10th percentile for equity… but 90th on the exam :P. At 6% it was tested minimally.

If you are relative strength passing in the 90th percentile.

How and why did you score in the 10th percentile in equity??

It’s logical inconsistent. Hence why I want to review the questions for multi answers / terrible wording.

In band 10, 1% could be the difference.

Unless you ignored equity all together your variances in equity logically makes no sense to me and gives me a little hope.

It’s like saying

I can hit 9/10 3 pointers.

but only 1/10 from the free throw line.

This truthfully makes no sense to me what you’re trying to say. I guess you’re saying that if steph curry shoots 89% from the free throw line, there’s no possible way he misses his next free throw and is 0/1. Check the behavioral biases again.

Think about where equity was tested… AM/PM/Both? Not sure what we can disclose in terms of the “specifics of the exam” now that exam scores are released, but just think about where you saw it, how often, etc.

I guarantee that if equities was 50% of the exam (larger sample size, Level 1 and Level 2 BTW) I wouldn’t have been in the 10th percentile. At 6% (small sample size, Level 1 and Level 2 BTW) it wasn’t hit that hard this year, and IMO the equities questions were pretty ticky-tack. The small sample leaves room for stranger results.

I didn’t ignore equity, but it was 6% of the exam. I bet, given that I was in the 90th percentile, I knew more of the equities material than the average candidate. I.e. with a different set of questions or if it were tested more heavily I would wager that I would’ve scored better than the average candidate and certainly better than 10th percentile.

No offense but I remember the equities questions. They asked me the wrong set of questions for me (and hence why I remember them because I found them difficult). But I also remember that they were pretty cut-and-dry. As in I didn’t feel like there was just a ton of room for multiple answers. I checked some of them after the exam and realized pretty quickly that the answers were pretty clear if you knew how to get there. I don’t think there were several correct answers leading to a variety of scores, I think it was just barely tested.

Good luck in your quest for a re-score, and I’m not trying to be a jerk, but quite frankly your chances of reversal (in my opinion) are 0% based on the equities section alone.

Multi answers equity and or bad wording?

Lets see the exam out in January 19! ( i think)

Yes - the probability is near 0. But the probability isn’t 0. :slight_smile:

Ugh- A low % of tested material & a large variance in scores = a higher weight for the subjectivity of graders. Assume graders are not robots, and they follow a bell curve, when you got the friendly one, you have 60 and less friendly one a 40. That swing matters. I get it, people need to fail and some will be at or on the line. Thats life. BUT Such a large variance and such low scores, in a core topic, is very strange. No??? Great analysts look into anomalies, maybe there is nothing here, maybe not… Lets a least look? Right?

a low % will almost automatically drive a higher variance just due to basic probability /law of large numbers. More or all being in the am will drive a higher variance due to essay having higher variance than MC.

the pct tested is within the range given before the exam plus the core of level 3 is portfolio management. I don’t think of equity being core for level 3. Level 3 syllabus is pretty light on equity actually but that doesn’t surprise me given how it’s covered in the other levels.

just my opinion but I don’t think you’ll get anywhere with this.

preach

Restated:

Such a large variance AND such low scores, in a “vanilla” topic with only a few pages is strange. No???

Why were we as group so dumb is a vanilla topic? Really though?

Let’s check the questions when they come out. :slight_smile:

Somewhat of an indictment of the grading process… don’t you think if two graders had significantly different median scores they would be adjusted somehow? I also would like to believe that graders are adequately trained to have consistency. The CFAI surely is aware of ways to remove subjectivity from the scoring process…

Pj2717, Seems like you are suffering from a fairly typical human condition, blame others for failure. In your case, the CFAI grading process. Knock yourself out and pay for a retabulation, but unlikely it will change anything. My recommendation is use your energies to study for next year’s exam.

NeverQuit: I’m not quitting lol- My question remains:

Such a large variance AND such low scores, in a “vanilla” topic with only a few pages is strange. No???

Why were we as group so dumb is a vanilla topic? Really though?

Let’s check the questions when they come out. :slight_smile:

Apparently in January 2013, a “crazy” person never quit on the exam, they found a question that could be subjectively answered in two ways.

They respectfully presented this to CFAI. CFAI agreed with the “crazy” person, accepted the reality they like all of us are fallible and rectified the situation.

The result was apparently failing scores being changed to passing scores in January.

#nevergiveup

#historycanrepeat

#weareallhumans :slight_smile:

Apparently in January 2013, a “crazy” person never quit on the exam, they found a question that could be subjectively answered in two ways.

They respectfully presented this to CFAI. CFAI agreed with the “crazy” person, accepted the reality they like all of us are fallible and rectified the situation.

The result was apparently failing scores being changed to passing scores in January.

#nevergiveup

#historycanrepeat

#weareallhumans :slight_smile:

the statistical side of your argument is a losing one at least based on as much as you can tell from what CFAI provides in the results. The high variance is explained by the low percentage of the exam that was equity and the level of score appears to be a little low at most if the equity stuff was essay. It’s likely just normal variation from expected.

you could of course be right about ambiguity on the exam and none who took the exam and signed the pledge can really discuss.

good luck with your quest.

I’d love for this to be true. I scored between 50% - 70% in every topic but received what looks like a 0% for equity. Level 1 and 2 I’ve received top marks for equity. I was very surprised to fail, unfortunately right below the MPS so even a few points would make a difference for me.