Steps from L3 Pass to Charter

Although it is too early to start thinking about the charter since I still have one level to go, I was wondering about the whole chartering process.

Obviously, the most important step is to have someone confirm your experience but I was wondering can I simply do this step now to get it out of the way (I have four years of relevant experience). I know there is a payment involved but I am assuming the payment will be due when I actually apply for charter? Is there anything else that needed to be done, other than filling in those basic forms CFAI expects from you as member?

don’t forget the getting drunk at the CFA society awards ceremony…aaah for a hard earned thirst. Ours is on the 8th Oct!

No that’s it. You fill out the forms and get recommendations from 3 people (or only 2 if one recommendation is from a charterholder from your local CFA society). They review it and tell you if you application is accepted. Once it’s accepted you pay dues to become a member. I can’t remember the form’s name, but you also sign that you have not violated any laws of the CFA Code and Standards of Professional Conduct. Once that’s done, and you’ve paid your dues, you are a member. To be a charterholder, you need both membership and a Level 3 pass. A lot of folks hold off paying dues until they pass the exam. I didn’t, I paid them earlier, which was probably risky on my part but it was nice instantly having the charter once I got my Level 3 pass.

the process isn’t deal and is probably draw-out longer than it should be. but yeah, get some references. submit that along with your work experience to cfai for review. and after that it goes to your local society (of your choice) and then i guess you sign some stuff for ethical reasons, pay some fees and bam. you’re a charter.

Today i received the letter from CFAI. Is that it! where’s the free T-shirt and beer mug holders?!

But I applied; approved by CFAI and waiting for the local society approval. I dont see any place to pay before the local society approval. How do you pay before all approvals are in?

That’s what is usually called payment in advance.

Wait I am all confused now. Can I get my work experience approval now and simply pay for membership once I pass level three?

You can approve work experience, pay duties and become a regular member before passed level 3 in case you would become a charterholder immediately after passed level 3. I don’t know wether you can delay mship charges payment for 1 year till new level 3 results revealing.

I don’t book an unnecessary receivable in my book of life. Then I will need to record a reversal and properly book the expense. Too much work.

Is it possible that after passing the three levels you dont apply to become a member yet until you comply with the work experience requirement?