Studying without a "Package" / Where to start / How to attack

I posted this last year when someone asked if anyone was studying without a study package…figured it would be helpful for new-bee’s and retakers…I passed this year so I know this worked (at least for me). The curriculum is long, but there really isn’t a better substitute. I read about 4/6 of the books and stopped there. I am only reading the remaining “updated/new” material (if re-taker). At this point you need quality not quantity. Don’t fall into the trap I did last year by reading/ taking a class online and trying to cram problems and tests the last 2 months. You will get burned come game day. Goal this time? Practice the material while sharpening the blade on HOW to answer the essays, via efficient approaches (get the most bang for your buck each time you sit down).

Here is what I am doing this year with ONLY CFAI. This could apply for newbies starting now/soon as well.

• Read summaries at end of each chapter (get a sense for themes and main points)/ review - Read all blue boxes/ do as many as you can after you read them. (Get a feel for the equations and start working the material with instant feedback since the answers are printed with the blue box) - Do ALL EOC. Take notes on stuff you have problems with learning. Read sections you know are important/have a hard time with.

Find and download previous tests from prior years. (There are resources you can find these things from. CFAI site to start) work the essays by topic on each test once through (Build a repetitive process you can improve each time) Don’t expect good scores. Expect to learn how to answer it and practice it on the next test. Improve as you go.

• Do the “practice problems” online.

• Re-do all EOC.

• Retake all tests now one at a time, not by section.

• Where is the weakness? Find it, fix it, repeat.

How do professional athletes prepare for games? Sure, they read the playbook, but they learn the fundamentals and practice the plays in practice, and focus on cutting the weaknesses out one at a time. Chip them off one by one.

Keep repeating the process above until you master 85-90% of the questions. You can do it just like I plan to.

Good Luck

nodaysoff