CFA on the business card

After passing all three exams and registering as a member, I was applying for a new biz card. But the company I’m working with said that they will not make a new set of business card until the existing ones are used up. It’s going to take another 1.5 years for me to use up all my biz cards. While I understand they want to avoid wasting the existing cards, I still wish to see the CFA after my name.

How will you guys handle this situation? What are the benefits for a company if the employees are CFA charter-holders? Credential maybe? Anything else? Thanks!

Personally I think it’s lame the company won’t accommodate. But, if you want to have it printed on your card, could you offer to pay for it yourself?

If it were me, I would throw your old business cards away. That is one way to use them up.

Find a new job.

#easypeasy

Looks like the company is on a shoestring budget :open_mouth: or really petty.

Quite frankly, I’d find it insulting that after studying my @ss off for CFA and finally obtaining the charter, my company wouldn’t even pay for the new cards.

Did they pay for your exams or not?

But yeah, I’d probably pay for the cards myself and start looking for a new job during the office hours (yes, I know, it’s an ethics violation)

Fire up the paper shredder.

No, they don’t pay for my exams. The company thinks it won’t make a difference whether I have CFA on my card or not. Thanks you all for the reply though.

If you think that it will make a difference, then clearly you’re at the wrong company.

Thanks for the reply. Personally, I don’t think it will make a HUGE difference in PEVC industry. Just hard for me to digest the fact that the compony refuses to pay for the new card as someone earlier said that it’s kinda insulting.

Hey guys, You spent at least 1000 hours & said no to many social activities to earn the “, CFA” ; by saying “no new business card” they are just showing they do not value the CFA, so Hashtag got the point here

PE/VC firms generally have a slightly negative view of the CFA. They don’t believe it adds much value and studying for the exams cuts into your 90 hour work weeks. I’m not at all surprised they’re indifferent towards your newly minted status as a CFA charterholder.

That said, the solution is either to destroy your existing cards and ask for new ones, or make your own. May I suggest something with a subtle off-white coloring, tasteful thickness, and a watermark.

Oh, mine’s just Eggshell with Romalian type.

#butstillnice

Jesus. That is really super. How’d a nitwit like you get so tasteful?

That’s bone.

To OP, it’s pretty lame but I guess you knew they would say that if they didn’t want to sub your CFA course fees, they certainly wont pay for the cards.

Just pay them yourself if they are that important to you. Couple hundred bucks or something?

I order mine without no Supervisor approval? what the heck? I received my refund a week after. My company aint that great eaiteh but at least they respect minimum standard.

The truth of the matter is, unless you’re the right field, no one really cares about the CFA or even knows what it is. They often confuse it with the CPA or the CFP. Personally, I knew that going into this thing but I still wanted to pursue it. I am now in a field that doesn’t even require having the CFA charter so my business cards and email signatures don’t reflect the charter status because it’s irrelevant. But it’s kinda nice to have the designation in your back pocket for that rainy day and often is a great conversation starter to those who don’t know you have it since you never broadcast it out.

IMHO…you’re not in the right field if the people in your field confuse CFA with CPA or CFP.

I second that.

most government enterprises (i.e. Fannie,Freddie) don’t respect the charter too much; even in the capital markets area. you’ll get a cookie and a pat on the back. i’m in risk management. just personal experience though.