Possible Erratum in Fixed Income volume 4 Reading 23

Hello everyone

so in cfa volume 4, reading 23 page 63 there is a blue box example on cash flow matching. I struggle with the given solution on the example.

It suggests to buy a 4 year bond with 5,50% coupon rate to cover a fixed liability at at the end of the holding period. So far so good.

I don’t understand the way the book calculates the par value since it discounts the bond only by one year but holds it for 4 years. I can tell that the holding period is 4 years since the coupon payments are received throughout the holding period.

Can anyone help me.

Thank you!

You’ll find Level III errata here: https://www.cfainstitute.org/-/media/documents/support/programs/cfa/2018-level-iii-errata.ashx

Thank you for your quick reply.

My problem is not listed on that errata list. So is somebody at this chapter (Volume 4, Reading 23, Example 3 page 63) right now and could possibly help me out here.

I dont understand why an investor will calculate the par value of a 5 year bond with 5,50% coupon by discounting it simply by 1,055. According to my understanding it should’ve been 1,0555 since the investor holds it for the entire 5 years and also receives the coupons throughout the holding period (so in period 1, 2, 3 and 4).

They’re not discounting the value of the bond (in the sense of finding a present value given a future value).

The final payment on a coupon-paying bond is the par value of the bond plus the last coupon. So, if you have an annual-pay bond with a par value of SEK 1,000 and a 5.5% coupon rate, the final payment will be SEK 1,055. If you need to pay a liability of, say, SEK 100,000, you don’t need 100 bonds, you need only 100 / 1.055 = 94.78673 bonds. That’s why they’re dividing by 1.055.

The final payment on those bonds will be SEK 94,786.73 in par value and SEK 94,786.73 × 5.5% = SEK 5,213.27 in coupon for a total of:

SEK 94,786.73 + SEK 5,213.27 = SEK 100,000

Thank you very much, your explanation helped me understand my mistake.

You’re quite welcome.