Standards of Living / Adapt or Moderate

So we all know the basic chart, which is straight from the book:

1. High Wealth & Low Standard of Living & Emotional Biases : Adapt

2. High Wealth & Low standard of Living & Cognitive Biases: Moderate & Adapt

3. Low Wealth & High Standard of Living & Emotional Biases: Moderate & Adapt

4. Low Wealth & High Standard of Living & Cognitive Bias: Moderate

What would you do if someone is High Wealth and High Standard of living with Emotional Biases?

How about if someone is Low Wealth and Low standard of living with Cognative biases?

Does the standard of living override the wealth in the chart?

1 Like

Marry her.

Too late…

I married the low wealth and low standard of living…with emotional biases.

1. If you think about someone with high wealth and also having high standard of living risk it would seem highly improbable. High wealth would typically mean the person has enough wealth to make standard of living risk a nonissue. If standard of living risk was actually in fact high then relatively speaking their wealth level must not really be that high in comparison. That being said if this situation would occur you would likely moderate & adapt.

2. Any time there are cognitive biases I would imagine moderate because why wouldn’t you? They are easier to overcome unlike emotional biases so why be lazy and not try and educate the client solely because they have a low standard of living risk doesn’t really make sense to me!

I believe point 4 solution should be moderate and not adapt.

Yes good catch!

Well you know this, just a typo from your end. Just wanted to ensure that someone didn’t learn something incorrect :slight_smile:

In Reading 8 of CFA text, under 5.2.1. Case Study #1: Mr. Renaldo, the guy has high wealth and low SLR, so adapt.

The MVO recommends 60 stock / 30 bonds / 10 cash.

According to the text, using behaviorally modified asset allocation, it should be 70 stock / 20 bonds / 10 cash.

The text says to adapt is to use an even more aggressive approach so that the client can live with it. Also, the client should reduce his concentrate stock holding by 50%.

So the right thing to do is to reduce the concentrated position (I get that), but to prevent the client from going bananas, I ask him to buy other stocks to bring his allocation to stocks to an even higher 70% of the portfolio?

Is this how adaptation works? Thanks in advance ppl.

good news is the exam makers wouldn’t mess with you like that.

Keroppi I think the curriculum’s main point there is to simply try to get the person closer to IDEAL without sweating that it’s 10% higher in equity allocation than a true MVO allocation. I.E. I would bet you $50 if you look back, the starting point of the portfolio with the concentrated position is > 70% equities

@125mph , Pls check your private message. TIA