Practice Exam Strategy

Hi all,

Want to get some thoughts on my final stretch approach in choosing practice exams. Note - I am constrained for time as I work full time during the week.

Completed CFAI 2017 past exam & CFAI AM Mock Vignettes within candidate resources - also completed all Kaplan constructed response questions and CFAI questions within candidate resources.

To Do:

2016 & 2018 CFAI Exams

Kaplan Mock Exam 1-4

CFAI PM Mock Vignettes

Kaplan Mock Exams 5-6 (if time permits)

Should I prioritize past CFA exams (pre 2016 over the Kaplan Mock Exams 1-4)?

I would do the CFAI papers and CFAI mocks w/ Kaplan PM mocks.

Ditch the Kaplan AM mocks.

The Kaplan mock exams are nothing like the CFA past exams imo. The Kaplan ones test some obscure material and do it in a way that is very lose. The CFA inst seems to guide the answers much more and have a much clearer questioning style. I find the Kaplan questions to be very hard to decipher e.g. what are they actually asking here/what concept is being tested. CFA ones much easier for that.

Kaplan mocks are good for thinking about the material more broadly but that’s about it. I’d maybe hit a couple of their mocks first and then use the remaining time for CFA inst practice.

Agree with 125…I was referring to the AM. The PM Kaplan is ok for practice.

Between Kaplan MOCs and Mark Meldrum MOCs, which one do you think it is the best to practice for the AM section and to practice for the PM section?

I like MM mocks. They give a good variety.

I agree. I find them to be very similar to CFAI mocks but with some added twists and more in-depth questions. At this point I’d stick with CFAI’s past papers, mocks and MM’s exams.

Thanks for the feedback.

125mph - are you referring to the CFAI mocks in their candidate resources and the old AM exams for their papers?

I agree, MM Mocks are closest to CFAI mocks that I have done. Also, the explanations for very clear and helps you to understand the concept.

What about FinQuiz Mocks?

Worth giving it a try?

I’ve done MM AM mocks # 2 & 4, and PM mocks # 1 & 2.

They’re great. Tough but reasonable. Hopefully more challenging than the actual exam, because you wouldn’t want it the other way around that’s for sure.

I’m scoring mid 60s (AM & PM) on these bad boys. Granted, my PM scores were pulled down as I haven’t really batted an eye at ethics or GIPS. I actually scored 50% on ethics both PM exams… yikes. Better recalibrate my moral compass.

Would 100% recommend these mocks. Close to the real thing, similar in style and content. A little long, but hey it’s a mock and the point is to learn the material. They definitely point out your weaknesses (thought I had a good beat on implementation shortfall - but 3/15 says otherwise). Also my handwriting is terrible. That might be a problem.

I haven’t tried any other prep providers. I think I’m rocking CFA past AM’s, MM’s, and CFAI online from here on out.

PS should we start calling these “S2000’s” instead of MM’s? Or does Mark have the copyright on lockdown :slight_smile:

They’re Mark’s, bought and paid fer.