Swaps

R34 EOC 24.

WMTC originally enters a five-year variable rate loan. Principal amount: $10,000,000. Rate: Libor + 200 basis points, paid semiannually, reset every six months. Loan rate was reset today at a Libor of 5%.

Company now thinks interest rate will increase.

To hedge the interest rate risk on the five-year variable rate loan, Lopez recommends that WMTC enter into a contract with Swap Traders International (STI), who offers an interest rate swap with a notional principal of $10 million that provides a fixed rate of 6% in exchange for Libor, with semiannual payments.

———————————————————–

The way it is written, it makes it sound like STI will pay 6% fixed rate and receive Libor. But the proper way to set this up is to have STI pay Libor and receive fix.

Is this a typo? Or is this a play on words?

If you weren't successful on your Level III exam, you'll want to be the first to know when Schweser study materials are available for 2020 exams. Sign up below, and we'll notify you as soon as they are available for sale.

No, the text is right.

You want to pay fixed and receive libor. 

They are in a loan and they are paying libor +2%. They are afraid rates are increasing, so they need a fixed rate. They take a swap as the payer. The net is the libors cancel out and ends up paying 6% + 2% = 8%. 

foshizzle wrote:

The way it is written, it makes it sound like STI will pay 6% fixed rate and receive Libor. But the proper way to set this up is to have STI pay Libor and receive fix.

I know I want to pay fix, receive Libor. My question is more on semantics.

If a dealer offers a swap that provides a fixed payment of 6%. I buy the swap (or agree to enter), this means I pay the fixed payment.

This is counterintutitive, which is ok. I’ll roll with this for the test, but I want to make sure this is what CFA intended, and not a typo.

A long (buyer) position in the swap is the payer of fixed.

foshizzle wrote:
R34 EOC 24.

WMTC originally enters a five-year variable rate loan. Principal amount: $10,000,000. Rate: Libor + 200 basis points, paid semiannually, reset every six months. Loan rate was reset today at a Libor of 5%.

Company now thinks interest rate will increase.

To hedge the interest rate risk on the five-year variable rate loan, Lopez recommends that WMTC enter into a contract with Swap Traders International (STI), who offers an interest rate swap with a notional principal of $10 million that provides a fixed rate of 6% in exchange for Libor, with semiannual payments.

———————————————————–

I suspect that it’s neither.

I think that if they had written, “… that provides for a fixed rate …” it would have been clearer.  To me, that would suggest only that they’re describing the two legs, not who would pay which one.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/