Interest rate swap

Imagine a company wants to reduce its sensitivity to interest rates.

It has 4 options. Assume duration of fixed is 75% of its maturity.

1. 3 year quarterly swap. Receive fix, pay float. Duration = 2.25 - 0.125 = 2.125

2. 1 year quarterly swap. Receive float, pay fix. Duration = 0.125 - 0.75 = -0.625

3. 2 year quarterly swap. Receive fix, pay float. Duration = 1.5 - 0.125 = 1.375

4. 2 year quarterly swap. Receive float, pay fix. Duration = 0.125 - 1.5 = -1.375

Which one should the company pick?

I’d go with #4. If rates are going up you want to shorten up duration as much as possible.

D(FLOATING) = .5 x Reset Period = .5 x .25 = .125

D(FIXED) = .75 x Maturity = .75 x 2 = 1.5 years.

If we want to reduce duration, we want to pay fixed(-); receive floating (+), so .125 - 1.5 = -1.375 would reduce the company’s sensitivity to rates moving higher the most.

I’m thinking 2 because you want duration to be close to 0 to have the least amount of interest rate sensitivity.

My understanding is negative duration will give you the same amount of sensitivity to a position with the same positive amount of duration. The only difference is that the negative duration will mean your position value increases with rate increases and decreases with rate decreases.

I realize I didn’t make mention of the company’s original portfolio. But it is assumed to be 0.

CFA Institute’s historical position has been that you want the swap with the smallest notional value; that’s the one with the longest net duration.

Coincidentally or not, your understanding is correct.

@S2000magician what’s the intuition for the relationship between the swap with the smallest notional value corresponding to the longest net duration?

I don’t know anything about intuition, but I can give you some understanding.

Changing the duration of a fixed income portfolio involves adding or subtracting a given amount of money duration. For a given amount of money duration, if the duration increases, the money (value) must decrease, and vice versa.

1 Like