The Question --- which AM topics do you like the best, which ones do you want to hide from

I’m assuming this gets posted every year… well, we’re at the end… Which topics are you most comfortable and hoping to see… which ones do you want to avoid?

Hoping :

• Derivatives (including risk derivatives)
  • Fixed Income
  • GIPS
  • Trading
  • Performance
  • Institutional

Neutral :

• Individual
  • Equity
  • Econ
  • Behavioral

Avoid :

• Asset Allocation
  • Risk Management (Concept & Qualitive)
  • Industry & Professionalism

My strongest areas are private wealth, institutional, econ, and fixed income (borderline here with neutral). I’ve worked in private wealth management for 10 years so some of these topics are a blessing for me.

Everything else is neutral except for performance evaluation and equity. Equity is a real wild card. Depending on the questions I might be OK or completely up the creek. Same with Performance eval. Some of those mico/macro questions send me for a loop. Still, don’t want to tell myself I’m afraid of anything just yet. Give me 4 solid weeks of study and a week off before the exam and I’ll impregnate the…

AM session

Avoid:

Alts, Asset Allocation, Equity, GIPS

Neutral:

Private Wealth, Institutional

Hoping:

FI, Econ, Performance, Trading, Risk Mgmt, Derivs, Behavioral

My favorites are anything that involve a clear answer. For example; how many futures do you need to change this allocation? My least favorite topics are along the lines of : describe one advantage of how Asset Only allocation is better in this particular situation, compared to an ALM approach ?

I just started doing practice questions yesterday so I am probably screwed in all honesty. However, at least there seems to actually be a consistent theme with your responses…sounds like Equity and Asset Allocation aren’t too fun. My scores so far reflect that : /

Econ, FI, and Dervs (work everyday with them) and I am actually pretty golden on I think along with Behavioral. Institutional, Alts and Trading I am neutral on… rest needs some serious work.

“Determine whether Bob is correct in saying that benchmarks are problematic when comparing long/short equity neutral hedge funds. Describe 2 alternate approaches to measuring hedge fund performance as they relate to the information provided”…

(2 minutes)

I go for Econ and Derivatives/Risk first.

But then I saw the 2015 AM exam, and they asked about permanent income hypothesis…