Currency mgmt

I have two questions in the currency management reading:

1.What is the difference between FX swaps and currency swaps, I thought both were the same thing, any insights on that?

1. How is “The return on a domestic asset is not affected by exchange rate movements of the domestic currency.” in case of the devaluation of the domestic currency would not the domestic asset be affected?

An FX swap is either short the spot and long a forward or long the spot and short a forward. It isn’t remotely the same as a currency swap.

On May 14 you bought GOOG at 1,120 and on May 24 you sold it at 1,133. During that time the USD/GBP exchange rate decreased from USD/GBP 1.2910 to USD/GBP 1.2714. What was your USD rate of return on GOOG during that time period?

The end result is you made 13 bucks… enough to go to Jack in the Box for lunch… assuming you had one share… If you had 3 shares, you can take your family to jack-in-the-box!

You just failed your exam: it asked for the _ rate _ of return.

omg… I did fail the exam. I completely forgot to account for taxes. That $13 gain is only net $9.88 after 24% short term gains…

And after commissions of $7 dollars per trade, you lost money! But lets just assume you just opened a new account and they’re giving you 100 free trades for a 2 month period :slight_smile:

$9.88 is enough to get you a spicy chicken sandwich and either fries or a soda… not a full meal unfortunately.