Cobb-Douglas

The Schweser text states:

Empiricial studies suggest it is reasonable to assume constant returns to scale, any given change in capital or labor (for example, from 2% to 3% or 5% to 6%) has a linear effect on output.

I thought capital and labor both have diminishing returns to scale due to the elasticity of capital and labor which sum to 1. Can someone clarify this?

You’ve made it this far, and you know what it takes to pass. Don’t be fooled by false promises and unrealistic claims. Schweser’s CFA® study packages give you the proven study tools and expert instruction you need to finish the job.

Cobb-Douglas is constant to scale.

Linear doesn’t mean 1:1 increase. For example, if alpha = 0.4, if capital increased from 2% to 3%, we would expect output to increase by 0.4 * (3% - 2%), or 0.4%

I_Got_It wrote:
Linear doesn’t mean 1:1 increase. For example, if alpha = 0.4, if capital increased from 2% to 3%, we would expect output to increase by 0.4 * (3% - 2%), or 0.4%

But it does mean that the slope is constant, which is inconsistent with diminishing marginal returns.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

The original function is Y = A KalphaLbeta => Alpha and Beta are different.

After that, they assume constant returns to sale, substitute Beta = Alpha -1 and take the natural logarithm of both sides to get the growth formula. Therefore, in the exercise, it is always assumed constant returns to scale. 

bqh9 wrote:
The original function is Y = A KalphaLbeta => Alpha and Beta are different.

Unless α = β = 0.5.

bqh9 wrote:
After that, they assume constant returns to sale, substitute Beta = Alpha -1 and take the natural logarithm of both sides to get the growth formula. Therefore, in the exercise, it is always assumed constant returns to scale.

I believe that you mean β = 1α.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

Mark