Sign up  |  Log in

Do Analyst Forum users typically over-prepare?

So I ask this because I’m really surprised seeing that so many of you have been working on mock exams for months at this point. I do not feel under-prepared at this point, and I’ve yet to crack open Ethics or GIPS, and have not taken a mock yet. Last year at this point, I had not taken a mock, and had not begun learning Ethics or Derivatives - I passed the exam just fine.

Do you think that Analyst Forum users prepare more/earlier than usual? Also, is anyone else in my boat? If so, what’s your plan for these next two weeks?

A clear and personalized study plan is here! Schweser's upgraded content and redesigned study platform are exactly what you need to pass the Level III exam. Save 10% when you preorder a Premium Package for a limited time.

Yes they do over-prepare. 

And they also tend to outperform the average candidate by a lot!

My plan is mocks mocks and blue box and then mocks.

to be honest, I had to raise my game seeing how diligent other AF users are.

I agree. My guess is that the pass rate for regular AFers is quite a bit higher than the average pass rate.  

If you're the first out the door, that's not called panicking

125mph is a poor benchmark, he’s already lapped the field. If he fails there’s no hope for the rest of us. :-) 

We’re all here just trying to keep up. 

@125mph will you disappear from the forum once you pass or will you stay and become an AF fixture? 

If you're the first out the door, that's not called panicking

Over prepare?????????? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It be like that sometimes.

Codtrawler87 wrote:

@125mph will you disappear from the forum once you pass or will you stay and become an AF fixture? 

Eh, I’ll probably bounce in and out from time to time.. But I dont think I’ll be too useful. I can barely answer any questions on the L2 board anymore.. Without digging into the materials, the details get lost very fast.

I see. I actually am wondering if anyone is in my position, no mocks taken and still have some material to cover. I believe I’ll begin taking mocks this weekend before even learning Ethics, then sort of cramming the subject in the week before the test as I continue taking mocks.

Anyone else who has quite a bit of catching up to do - what’s your plan like?

agree completely with CEO10K. no such thing as over preparing. this is…..IT. it can be OVER. i just ripped a 52/60 on volume 2 exam 2 multiple choice and frankly it still felt like every other question was a 50/50 guess. no matter how high your mocks are anyone is prone to an unlucky batch of questions on exam day. we should all be aiming for 65 on the essay and 80 on the MC. that and only that level of mastery (IMHO) ensures a pass. 

i meant volume 2 exam 1. per my other post on this forum everyone else crushed it too. average score of 72% on the schweser portal under “performance tracker, compare with others”

There’s only like 10 repeat posters.

The lurkers are the ones that are probably going to kill the test.

I just finished covering the material. There are two weeks left and I am going to spend for topic tests, mocks and revising the material on the go. Although wished to have more time for this final stage, but seems enough if the material is carefully covered with quality reading and doing EOCs, since I passed Level 1 and 2 with the same strategy.

Think wise and act!

Back in Feb some guy had already read everything twice and was working all the question bank problems

Given the amount of re-takers there are going to be people over prepared for level 3 if you are taking for the first time.

Last 2 weeks.  Try to work as many practice tests as you can and review the material you are weak in

Working random question bank problems and bs constructed response from Schweser wont work work a lot of practice tests understand them and re-read the sections you can’t seem to get right

Level 1 and 2 required all blue box and eoc worked but for level 3 i think working a crapload of practice test and AM sections is the most beneficial rather then working all blue boxes and EOCs

I decided I leave out GIPS (tried but I’m not able to internalize it). I am reviewing Trading and Perf. Eval this weekend, because I have just read them once in February and I don’t remember a thing.

And much as I would like to, I cannot study like 6 hours per day for the rest two weeks. I have a job and a kid too. (Also my house is in a mess).

For level 2 I was overprepared (based on exam results) but this time I’m not.

Just based on what I have seen, the pass rate for frequent AF posters tend to be around 75-80%. 

However, this is correlation, not a causation. 

It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

Just based on what I have seen, the pass rate for frequent AF posters tend to be around 75-80%. 

However, this is correlation, not a causation. 

It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

The Colorado society is hosting a mock exam today. It stroked the ego when I told everyone I was checking in for the level 3 exam right in front of a bunch of level 1 people. Lady asked if I brought my passport, told her no. She then asked if I had my admission ticket. Also had to let her down. Then she asked what identification I did bring. Told her I brought my drivers license. She rolls her eyes and asks what level I was taking. Told her level three, then she said I was at the wrong table. I had to go somewhere else to check in. 

Man, the look she gave me… was not good. Lol.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It be like that sometimes.

Yes, I notice that they do over prepare! I am not a regular on here, but sometimes I search topics on Google and the search leads me to AF… I am just so freaking surprised by the number of prep providers many people here mix together and the number of mocks they do that could go up to 15 mocks! Brings you down before the exam because you feel under-prepared, that’s why I don’t like to socialise on media before the exam! At level 1, I didn’t open the curriculum (didn’t have copies of it) and didn’t finish a single mock exam. I studied Schweser , practiced their QB and passed just fine. At level 2, I  studied some topics from the curriculum and others purely just MM videos, I did mocks but they were not more than 4-5 mocks, and I passed fine, and not a marginal pass.

At level 3, still haven’t thought how exactly will I approach it, but I would like to leave no chance for failure and maybe go a little more crazy.

125mph wrote:

Codtrawler87 wrote:

@125mph will you disappear from the forum once you pass or will you stay and become an AF fixture? 

Eh, I’ll probably bounce in and out from time to time.. But I dont think I’ll be too useful. I can barely answer any questions on the L2 board anymore.. Without digging into the materials, the details get lost very fast.

Do you still remember every single question of level 2 exam?

CEO10K-DAY wrote:

The Colorado society is hosting a mock exam today. It stroked the ego when I told everyone I was checking in for the level 3 exam right in front of a bunch of level 1 people. Lady asked if I brought my passport, told her no. She then asked if I had my admission ticket. Also had to let her down. Then she asked what identification I did bring. Told her I brought my drivers license. She rolls her eyes and asks what level I was taking. Told her level three, then she said I was at the wrong table. I had to go somewhere else to check in. 

Man, the look she gave me… was not good. Lol.

Man same happened to me. I was checking in level 2 schweser and the person told me very seriously if I don’t bring passport on exam day I won’t be let in. 

I am new to the forum and am a L1 candidate, I want to overprepare and am really liking how people say AF users are more prepared than other forums. I like the reddit forum too bit am happy to be here

Hourglass51 wrote:

I am new to the forum and am a L1 candidate, I want to overprepare and am really liking how people say AF users are more prepared than other forums. I like the reddit forum too bit am happy to be here

if you want to over prepare, follow @125MPH’s study schedule. 

If you're the first out the door, that's not called panicking

I will do a combo of Mark Meldrum for content and review, Schwester qbank, mocks and CFAI mocks and qbank

Codtrawler87 wrote:

Hourglass51 wrote:

I am new to the forum and am a L1 candidate, I want to overprepare and am really liking how people say AF users are more prepared than other forums. I like the reddit forum too bit am happy to be here

if you want to over prepare, follow @125MPH’s study schedule. 

If you wanna prepare just enough, follow my schedule, notes x 2 times, all TT x 2 times, mock x 2, Pray to God x 2 times a day. Passed all with small margin, seems 2 is my lucky number. 

#IGOTLUCKY

imthekingoftheworld wrote:

Do you still remember every single question of level 2 exam?

Of course, I can still do pensions calcuations for USGAAP and IFRS… easypezee