2014 CFAI real exam, question 1B (liquidity requirement, I got this wrong because they are "net savers") plz advise

really quick guys/gals,

So i got this WRONG because my answer was 50k, and not the guideline answer of 85k. the difference comes in the form of the fact that the couple is a “net saver” of 35k per year.

It was to MY UNDERSTANDING, that being a “net saver” should INDEED be factored into the liquidity requirement, even though savings are a SOURCE and not a NEED for liquidity

this is what CFAI says Note: The Crusoes’ ongoing expenses of USD 100,000 per year (USD 135,000 after-tax income less USD 35,000 annual savings) are not included as a component of the liquidity requirement. The Crusoes are net savers, and thus ongoing expenses do not create a liquidity need from the portfolio.

the question asks for their liquidity REQUIREMENT, so how is 50k incorrect? doesnt net savings REDUCE the liquidity requirement needed from the port, how the HECK is the answer 85k adn not 50k here

please advise

The vignette states their annual savings are transferred directly into their investment portfolio and immediately invested in the existing asset allocation. >>meaning, because it’s invested in the portfolio, those funds can’t be netted against the mortgage and the daughter’s fund. They are portfolio assets only.

yes. thanks so much. they are transfered direcctly to savings. thanks!