IPS question related to tax issue

From past paper, I sometimes found that the tax is taken into account in the cash needed calculation part while sometimes in the bottom part after adding inflation. Can I know is there any difference and when I should put it in the cash needed part and when the bottom part?

You’ve made it this far, and you know what it takes to pass. Don’t be fooled by false promises and unrealistic claims. Schweser’s CFA® study packages give you the proven study tools and expert instruction you need to finish the job.

Anyone can help??

It depends on the question.

If they are asking for pre-tax return, then you’d divide the $ return required by (1-T).

If the asset base is given as pre-tax (and subject to say a bequest tax), then you’d consider the (1-T) in the denominator (i.e. the asset base).

Thanks man! But what I mean is that something the tax calculations will appear at the cash needed part instead of the last part.

If investments are in a taxable a/c and you’re asked to calculate pretax nominal return, then:

Ri = (After tax real return + Inflation rate)/(1-Tax rate). Here, you first add inflation and then get the pre tax return.

If it’s a tax deferred a/c, then

Ri = [After tax real return/(1-tax rate)] + inflation rate. Here you first pre tax the returns and then you add inflation.

If this is what you were looking for.